I inherited a reef tank, please help me identify these guys so I can learn about them

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

masterjer

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I inherited a reef tank about 8 months ago and have really enjoyed it. However, there are a couple guys in there that I don't know much about nor have I been able to identify them by looking through countless pages of anemone and corals for sale.

The first image is my anemone that is host to my clown. I don't know what kind it is, or the proper care for it. All I know is that it used to be more gray in color and about 4 times this diameter. It has always been on the bottom but it has moved across the front of the tank from the corner to a location about 12 inches away.

The second image is some coral that sprung up a couple months ago and at first was interesting. Now, however, it is overtaking much of my live rock and is aggravating my other prettier corals. Does anyone know what this is?

The third is, I believe, frog spawn. But to me it looks a bit different from other frogspawn I have seen.

Attachments

• anemone.jpg
    anemone.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 73
  • coral2.jpg
    coral2.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 75
  • frogspawn.jpg
    frogspawn.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 71
The second pic is aiptasia which is not a good thing. They are pest which will take over your tank. You can find them on here.

Xtalreef

The third one I guess looks like frogspawn. The first one looks like maybe a seabae anenome even though it`s hard to tell from the pic. What ever it is it looks bleached. What kind of lighting do you have? Also how about some water test results?

Mike,
Thank you so much for your input. I have had aptaisa in the past and dealt with it promptly, although this stuff looks quite a bit different than the aptaisa I had before. After looking at more pictures online, I have seen that it does come in this color variety. It is not being nice to my other corals and I'll definitely get rid of it.

Thank you also for your advice on my anemone. I was able to look at a lot of pictures of sebae and agree that mine is likely that variety. I was also interested to learn that a white anemone is not healthy. It was definitely more brownish a couple months ago.

I check water parameters about every week and typically see nitrides of about 20 and calcium at 350-400. I am doing weekly 10% water changes, sometimes even 20% water changes. My bioload is very light right now only have a clown and a gold-head goby.

For lighting, I am using the original hood and bulbs that came with my JBJ nanocube, but also learned that the bulbs should be replaced about every 6 months, so I'll take care of that shortly to keep my sebae happy. thank you again.

Jeremy

Thank you again for the advice.

Dont think its a sebae anemone, I've seen that type before in one LFS. They look cool, But didnt catch the name of them. Any type of anemone needs T5HO at least, MH would be ideal.

Personally, i think it looks like a small nem in the category of Heteractis. I can almost see little blue tips on the ends of the tentacles. So that's my guess.

I agree with Mike on all 3.
Very sickly, bleached sebae anemone - your lighting in nowhere near enough.
Aiptasia
Frogspawn

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom