I just fell in love.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CA_BroncoFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was picking up some dog food and stopped by the fish section (duh!!) And they just got in some african featherfin catfish. Those things are sweet!!! I wanted to buy all of them!! So my questions is, can I have them in my 250gal ca/sa set up with pictus and cory cats? I know they're african but I'm willing to bet they'll be fine since they're from rivers mostly not lakes.

If you are talking about a Synodontis Eupterus then you could probably have one. They grow fairly large, 12"+ and are very boisterous fish. Mine was constantly knocking rocks over, uprooting plants, etc. They grow quite fast too, as I found out. Mine went from a 10g, to my 30g long, to a 55g, now a 120g cichlid tank.

Just be careful picking him up, his "featherfin" is more like a "razorfin". :) They do squeak when they are out of water so don't be alarmed if you hear it. That's how they got their nickname, Squeaker catfish.

They are Lake Tanganyka catfish. They will be fine if your water is no the alkaline side. They are able to fend for themselves. My male peacock gets quite fiesty with mine, they have a scrap now and then, no damage done.

Ok, thanks guys. I think I'm gonna pick up one to try and control my kribensis breeding as I've seen they eat cichlid eggs. I've heard they can take some battering from the cichlids because of it but I figure with the amount of floor space everyone will be alright.

They can definitely hold their own in a cichlid tank. My friend has mine in a 120g with a bunch of yellow labs and other cichlids. They will raise their "featherfin" when they get scared. Usually that alone is enough to scare off any brave labs (when full grown they are quite intimidating ).

Meegosh, you had mentioned they get up to or yours is 12", is this correct? I've only red they get up to 8". I think my best bet is to add him in prior to any of my cichlids so he can pick his spot and not have to fight for it. Is this wise?

Last time I saw "mine" was a few months ago. It was probably close to 10" at that point. I've heard they can grow over 16" though. Guess it all depends on how the fish is taken care of. Mine eats well so that probably explains the larger size.

Edit: Forgot the last question..

I don't think it will really matter when you add him. I would be tempted to wait for the tank to establish so he/she has something to pick at in the substrate. Believe me, they will make their territory, one way or anther.

Last edited:
If you are talking about a Synodontis Eupterus then you could probably have one. They grow fairly large, 12"+ and are very boisterous fish. Mine was constantly knocking rocks over, uprooting plants, etc. They grow quite fast too, as I found out. Mine went from a 10g, to my 30g long, to a 55g, now a 120g cichlid tank.

Just be careful picking him up, his "featherfin" is more like a "razorfin". :) They do squeak when they are out of water so don't be alarmed if you hear it. That's how they got their nickname, Squeaker catfish.

They will be fine in your tank. They have been known to hold there own in against cichlids if needed but are generally peaceful. They are nocturnal but are really active at night and are known to swim upside down like most Synodontis are known to do. I do need to give a correction though from the quoted post. They do NOT get 12"+. They get around 6"-8". Meegosh if yours got that big you had a world record, or a miss IDed catfish. Mine have never uprooted plants or nocked down rocks but i could see them doing it trying to look for food and a place to hide. They do squeak though and it is funny.

EDIT: I did not see the above post.

Interesting etunes, I've hear plent about them swimming upside down too, nothing about being nocturnal but I'm going to have moonlighting that I'm sure he'll love

Well next time I go over to my friends house I'll bring a tape measure and a camera. I could not believe how big it got the last time I went over to her place.

They are peaceful towards other fish but not when they go in his spot of the tank. They seem more clumsy than anything as far as knocking things over. When I had him he got his fin stuck in the java moss while eating flakes off the surface, upside down.

If I ever get a big tank I would love to take him back! Some day...

Meegosh, you had mentioned they get up to or yours is 12", is this correct? I've only red they get up to 8".
on the large size fish many places get them wrong size because people put them in too small of tanks and stunt them. this might not be the case for this exact one but generally is true.

Back
Top Bottom