I just got my new fish! but I had to overcome a problem....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Two days ago I had a plant float to the top of my tank. No big deal right? I turned off my heater, and filter(stupid) and got the plant back in. I turned back on the filter and heater but the filter wouldn't come back on. I tried EVERYTHING and it still wouldn't work. In the short of it I went to Walmart and got a new filter. It is a double filter 30-60 gallons. My tank is a 29 gallon tank.

So the next day I went and got fish. I planned on getting my four platies to cycle. When I got there, ALLLLLL of the fish were on quarantine because they had just received them the day before. The only fish for sale were these zebra longfin danios. I decided to get three to cycle. I love them so much now I want more! I am geting those instead of the planned neon tetras. I am keeping them in there for a MONTH before I add any new fish.

4 platies
7 zebra longfin danios
2 corys(albino)
1 dwarf gourami

I also got some liquid plant fertilizer!!! I am excited about my new danios!!!!!!

Did you remove the filter impeller and clean it? Sometimes my AC20 won't start back up, but removing the impeller, rinsing, and then puting it back together gets it goin.

Yeah, i had that problem with my AC mini. It turned off for the first time in 18 months, then lo and behold... it got stuck. I just blasted it off with some tapwater, and used a Q-tip inside the motor, Worked like a champ. Now its in storage as i needed something bigger for my 15. (looking to get an AC20... i really dislike the elite 20, its VERY loud, and i even tried making a little enclosure for it with foam. It just vibrates and feels... Cheap. Not much medium inside for bacteria either.

I should write a review! (y)

Re: I just got my new fish! but I had to overcome a problem.

bettagirl7 said:

4 platies
7 zebra longfin danios
2 corys(albino)
1 dwarf gourami

danios are excellent for cycling. I did my first cycle with 4 zebra danios and 2 panda corie cats (now i cycle without fish, but at that time i didnt' know any better) and they all survived.

You stocking looks good... the only thing i would change is to get more cories as they like to be in schools. Id say at least 6... and albino cories stay really really small so that shouldn't be a problem.

thanks everybody! I think I like the danios better than the neons anyways!!! I was thinking about getting my 4 other danios to cycle my quarantine tank.

bettagirl7 said:
thanks everybody! I think I like the danios better than the neons anyways!!! I was thinking about getting my 4 other danios to cycle my quarantine tank.

a better way to cylce your qt tank is to keep some filter media from an already cycled tank and just use that when you need to set up the qt tank.

Back
Top Bottom