I lost a Gourami today.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GouramiFanatic

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Last week I noticed that one of my Flame Dwarf Gouramis was looking pretty sick. His eye seemed to be a little puffy (possibly the beginning of pop eye) and his fins were ragged. His coloring was also off. I don't have a hospital tank at work so I decided to treat the whole tank (also to try to prevent the other fish from getting whatever it is) with a mixture of Melafix and Pimafix, but unfortunately it wasn't enough. This morning I ended up euthanizing him as he just couldn't go on in his condition. I'm very saddened to lose this fish as he's one of the fish that I had since I set up this tank (I didn't really know much about fishless cycling at the time) and he made it through quite a bit (the initial cycle, Ich, water quality issues), but this last battle was just to much for him. :(

I always hate seeing a hardy fish that's been through so much die.

My rainbow shark has been through some of the worst water conditions imaginable and he's still alive. He's a bit aggressive though, which has led to him being bigger and stronger than his siblings. I'm beginning to wonder if I could kill this fish if I wanted to.

Thanks everyone. The other Gouarmi in this tank (the 46 gallon) is doing well so far. It was kind of odd because I thought that in most cases when a fish was sick the others would pick on it until it died, but it was the opposite with these two. The well Gourami would swim up to it and use it's feelers to touch the sick one and then it would go on it's way again. It was almost as if it was trying to spare him from more discomfort.

I'm still really bummed out that I lost this little guy, but after seeing it struggling today I know it's much better off now. I just hope none of the other fish become ill.

....sorry to hear that....
i will be upset too if u tell me my starter fish die :(

anyway, dont give up, keep up ur work, u will feel better when u see other fishies swimming around healthly :)

Back
Top Bottom