I need advice on these fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ben the Betta

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 10 gallon, planted tank, with hiding spots, a good filter, and a heater. I keep the tank temperature around 75-78 degrees .F The tank has been cycled
I have 3 male guppies, and I want to add in more fish. Since my guppies don't eat all the food I give them (I am not over feeding) I want a bottom feeder that can eat some of the left over food. I was thinking about panda cory's. They should be kept in groups of 6 or more, but they are extremely sensitive to water quality and changes in chemicals (pH, ammonia, etc) And I do not have sand to protect their "wiskers", I have gravel. Here are my questions:

1. Should I get panda cory's?

2. What other bottom feeder do you suggest that is NOT sensitive to water quality and change in chemicals, and is not going to take up all the room in the tank, like those sucker fish (Forgot their names :facepalm:)

3. I want to get neon tetras for the tank too (6-7) are they REALLY sensitive fish too?

Thanks!

Nah, neon tetras are not sensitive a school of 5-6 would be good. Look at ghost shrimp, And pandas should be fine 3-4. I had mine if gravel for a while before I switched to sand

I've heard that as long as your gravel is not really rough they will be fine. I bought smooth river rock for my tank and my Cories have done fine in there. Cories are great for eating leftover food! You can also look at Ghost Shrimp like cgthebeast suggested. They are also really good and should do fine it your tank. You could also look into getting a Nerite snail, they come it lots of different colors. I am looking into getting some for my new 10 gallon tank but I haven't had any experience with them.

Besides otos, I don't know of any "sucker fish" that would be suitable in a 10 gallon tank.

Hope this helped. Good luck with your tank! :)

I had the same problem wanting corys in my 10g, but not having sand and them needing to be in a group that would be too big for the tank. I got 3 khuli loaches and I love them:) they're fun, cute, social, they do fine in my Eco complete, and they don't miss a single scrap that falls! They sniff around and find it within 30 seconds.

I would also recommend otos, I have 2 in my tank and they are very good cleaners.

Back
Top Bottom