I need help with a protein skimmer.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Robbieee1212

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 55 gallon salt water tank setup with live rock and a few fish. I bought a skimmer online and it's one with a pump that hangs on the back of the tank and has the "tornado" effect in the tubes. It has only been set up a few days but I can't see if it's working or not. It doesn't even look like it produces any foam in the top of it. Please help!ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1440725306.783510.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1440725331.034916.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That looks like a Seaclone skimmer. Skimmers in general take some time to 'break in' because of the oils from production. While adjusting things, on this model it would be by using the 'screw' on the airline tubing to do such. You'll want to have the bubbles halfway up the cup's neck to get an effective skim. With that said, this isn't a very good skimmer in the world of skimming...sadly don't think you'll be very impressed with it.

That looks like a Seaclone skimmer. Skimmers in general take some time to 'break in' because of the oils from production. While adjusting things, on this model it would be by using the 'screw' on the airline tubing to do such. You'll want to have the bubbles halfway up the cup's neck to get an effective skim. With that said, this isn't a very good skimmer in the world of skimming...sadly don't think you'll be very impressed with it.

Thank you. I appreciate your help! I hope it does okay for my tank I just don't know how to adjust it effectively

That is one of the problems with the seaclone. You can only adjust it with the 'screw' on the airline. I'd suggest you open it up the entire way, almost until it comes off, and then after a week give it a turn towards closing it to work your way to it skimming effectively.

That is one of the problems with the seaclone. You can only adjust it with the 'screw' on the airline. I'd suggest you open it up the entire way, almost until it comes off, and then after a week give it a turn towards closing it to work your way to it skimming effectively.

Thank you so much! I just screwed it almost all the way off and I'll wait and see how that does and I'll try to close it a little more each day I guess and see if I can tell a difference.

Back
Top Bottom