I need help with my molly fish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mollieveale

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all, I’m new to this so hopefully I do this right but I’m just a bit worried about my molly fish and googled everything!! I don’t know what it is and it might be nothing but I am just a bit worried. And also the babies have just been born (about a week old) as I brought the white molly not knowing she was pregnant! All the babies are fine it’s just the black molly fish! His tail is turning a brown/yellow colour and has been for about a month now as I’ve been keeping an eye on it, he’s still very active and is always swimming about with the other fish, please could anyone help me? Thankyou! Also I forgot to mention there are some small spots on his fins too.

Attachments

• 86C6BF07-9E53-4C56-8A96-A5F533CB8B04.jpg
    86C6BF07-9E53-4C56-8A96-A5F533CB8B04.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 33
  • B015D3AF-65C8-4159-8C5D-9C02D3DEBF16.jpg
    B015D3AF-65C8-4159-8C5D-9C02D3DEBF16.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 28
Mollies

Hi all, I’m new to this so hopefully I do this right but I’m just a bit worried about my molly fish and googled everything!! I don’t know what it is and it might be nothing but I am just a bit worried. And also the babies have just been born (about a week old) as I brought the white molly not knowing she was pregnant! All the babies are fine it’s just the black molly fish! His tail is turning a brown/yellow colour and has been for about a month now as I’ve been keeping an eye on it, he’s still very active and is always swimming about with the other fish, please could anyone help me? Thankyou! Also I forgot to mention there are some small spots on his fins too.

Hello Moll...

Mollies are the most sensitive to changes in their water conditions of any of the livebearing fish. They need most of their tank water removed and replaced every week, no excuses. 75 percent of the water changed out weekly isn't too much. These fish are brackish water fish, so they need a bit of standard aquarium salt added to the new tank water. A teaspoon or even two in every five gallons of treated tap water is enough to keep them healthy. The salt will really benefit any of the livebearers.

Most female fish you get from the local pet stores will be pregnant, because they're raised with males. So, when it comes to livebearing fish, you never want to buy males. Buy females, because when they drop the fry, you get your male fish.

Feed a little variety every day or two. Low phosphate flakes, freeze dried, frozen and some Spirulina will keep the fish healthy.

B

Back
Top Bottom