I need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Okiejules1@aol.com

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a serious problem, actually I have two serious problems. First one is I have a fish that's still alive stuck in the overflow area of my tank and I can't seem to think or find a way to get him out anyone have any ideas? The second one is an algae problem anyone have any ideas on that one?

Welcome to AA!

Dunno about the fish, but algae is caused by an surplus of nutrients and/or light. Can you give us some more details?

Tank size & type (Salt or fresh)
Lighting setup, and how long you leave it on each day.
Number and type of fish.
Any plants?
Set of tests. Include Nitrate, and if you have the test, phosphates.

It would also help if you can describe the algae. Here's a good webpage that might help

Greater Washington Aquatic Plant Association » Algae in the Planted Aquarium

What kind of overflow? Can't use a small net with a long handle or make an extended handle for one? Do you have a sump? If so can you coax the fish to go through the overflow into it?

My tank is a 75 gallon Oceanic saltwater.

The lighting is a Coralife and has 2 65 watt true actinic 03 blue fluorescents, metal halide lamp (10,000k) and 2 - 1 watt blue moon glow LEDs. The lunar lights are on for 12 hours and the metal halide lamp is on for 12 hours.

As far as the fish we have 7 fish:
2 tomato clowns, 3 damsels, 1 tang, 1 jawfish, 2 sandsifting starfish, 15 mexican red leg hermit crabs, 10 nassarius snails and we also have 1 zoanthid mushroom (coral).

No plants and we've done all of the tests and the water quality seems to be within range.

Your daytime lighting schedule is too long. Cut back to 8. Do the actinic on for 8 and the MH's on for 6. Actinic on for an hour, then have the MH come on an hour later. Shut the MH off one hour prior to the actinic going off.

Back
Top Bottom