I need help!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

umramgirl86

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok, I'm not sure that I'm posting this in the right spot or not, but I need some help!

I had a 10G freshwater for about a year and a half, and I recently upgraded to a 20G planted freshwater tank. I also have a beta tank. I LOVE my aquariums and am clearly obsessed now.

This brings me to where I need help. I want to get into saltwater, but I know nothing about it. I want to start slow. I though about just setting up a reef nano tank first with some shrimp to get me started, and then as I get used to saltwater, then go bigger.

However, I don't even know where to begin. I don't even have a tank yet. So, follow this thread and I need you guys to walk me through step by step. First things first...
What size tank should I get for a nano reef? Is a nano reef the best place to start? If not, what? What all will I need to get started? What do you recommend? Thanks for the help!!!

You can check out the link in my signature to my 29 gallon reef build. Alot of info in there, since I started like you with not alot of knowledge of saltwater.

Saltwater is a live and learn type of thing. I would start with either a 20 or 29 gallon with about 80 pounds of live sand and around 35-40 pounds of live rock. If you wanna go sumpless you can I've had 29 gallons with no sump. Get your salt level 1.023-1.026. Two wave makers one on each side. Now test kits it's your preference I like API but I have used seachem with great results. Let your tank cycle with the rock and sand for about 4-6 weeks it all depends if your ammonia and nitrites and nitrates are at zero. Then once cycled add a couple of inverts but slowly never over stock in the begging.

Masoniac said:
Saltwater is a live and learn type of thing. I would start with either a 20 or 29 gallon with about 80 pounds of live sand and around 35-40 pounds of live rock. If you wanna go sumpless you can I've had 29 gallons with no sump. Get your salt level 1.023-1.026. Two wave makers one on each side. Now test kits it's your preference I like API but I have used seachem with great results. Let your tank cycle with the rock and sand for about 4-6 weeks it all depends if your ammonia and nitrites and nitrates are at zero. Then once cycled add a couple of inverts but slowly never over stock in the begging.

What is sump?

spoonman said:
You can check out the link in my signature to my 29 gallon reef build. Alot of info in there, since I started like you with not alot of knowledge of saltwater.

Thank you! I'll check it out!

Do you guys recommend a FOWLR tank or maybe a nano reef? I'm actually ok with not adding fish right away. Which is easier? I'm not sure if I want live rock with a few fish, or a tank with coral and a clean-up crew?

Having a reef tank is a big commitment and since you are just getting in to the hobby... I would say to buy all the books that you can find and get on google and read up in the subject. Cause that is much more than meets the eye... Read up on lighting.... Water (filtration / temp / trace elements) and also the animals you would like to house in your tank.

I would suggest to start with a fish, live rock and invertebrate tank. Get in to the groove of dealing with the challenges of having a marine tank and discipline yourself to the regular maintenance etc. that would go in to having such and Eco system and then once the than has run for a few months then if you are comfortable with it you van look at gradually building up your reef with some hardy corals.

Good luck!

I'd second most of what Craigj247 said. The biggest difference between keeping a FOWLR and a reef tank is lighting and some extra test kits you'll need. The corals and other invertabrates in a reef system are far less forgiving than most fish.

I would advise to figure out what YOU want to keep in the tank, rather than buying a tank and then figuring out what you can put in it. Unfortunately, most everyone finds out after they bought their tank that it's insufficient for the animal they really ended up wanting. That's not to say you can't have a successful small saltwater tank, but you need to be aware of the limitations on livestock that come along with that.

You'll aslo need a set of liquid test kits (API's Master Saltwater Test Kit is an affordable and reliable choice) and a hydrometer or better yet a refractometer. You will also need a source for reverse osmosis deionized water (RODI) or you'll be looking at some nasty algae all the time instead of a pretty tank. You can buy your own set up (checper in the long run) or probably buy from your LFS or even one of the machines at a grocery store. (Tap water unfortunately contains a lot of stuff that makes algae grow like mad in saltwater.)

I also recommend a couple of powerheads (depending on the tank size you decide). I have converted over to the Korallia brand myself for their value.

You aslo asked about a sump. A sump is a container, normally under the display tank, that adds water volume and serves as a place for heaters, protein skimmers, refugiums, or other equipment. The simplest explanation is that water flow to them via siphon and then is returned from there to the tank via a pump.

When I started I read every single sticky on SW that's on this site. I also googled about starting SW tank and read all of that. I read A LOT. Start there.

Back
Top Bottom