I need some more ideas on what to feed my Otto

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

princess lady

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have one little Otto which he seems pretty healthy but I'm kind of worried if he is getting enough to eat.
I have had him for 2 weeks and he still is skinny but seems very healthy that is how he was when I got him.
I know he doesn't like spinach,or algae wafers.
But he loves zucchini, and like cucumber alright.
What else could I get for him that could help fatten him up?

The veggies are good, otos also eat the biofilm in the tank, so as long as his stomach is round he's fine.

When you are shopping for prepared foods, look at the 'algae' wafers/veggie wafers, but check the ingredient lists. It needs to have spirulina algae or some sort of vegetable as the main ingredient. I've had good luck with a few true veggie wafers, but never with algae wafers.

If the fish remains skinny you may want to worm it for internal parasites. Rapashy makes a new gel food that may work as a way to add meds to the food, since you make it fresh. My Otos LOVE this food !!!

I had an Oto wasting away. He ate, but wasn't active and wasn't thriving. I added Fenbendazole to the tank to get rid of Planaria and he perked up right after. Perhaps just coincidence, but perhaps he ingested some and it acted as a wormer??? No clue, but very glad he got better.

If you check out Planet Catfish you can find info on safe wormers for Otos and Cories. Bottom feeders often come in with Parasites and poor Otos often arrived starved and weak. If you can get them to stabilize they can be very happy fish.

The veggies are good, otos also eat the biofilm in the tank, so as long as his stomach is round he's fine.

When you are shopping for prepared foods, look at the 'algae' wafers/veggie wafers, but check the ingredient lists. It needs to have spirulina algae or some sort of vegetable as the main ingredient. I've had good luck with a few true veggie wafers, but never with algae wafers.

Ok thank you! I will look for that if I buy anymore. :D

If the fish remains skinny you may want to worm it for internal parasites. Rapashy makes a new gel food that may work as a way to add meds to the food, since you make it fresh. My Otos LOVE this food !!!

I had an Oto wasting away. He ate, but wasn't active and wasn't thriving. I added Fenbendazole to the tank to get rid of Planaria and he perked up right after. Perhaps just coincidence, but perhaps he ingested some and it acted as a wormer??? No clue, but very glad he got better.

If you check out Planet Catfish you can find info on safe wormers for Otos and Cories. Bottom feeders often come in with Parasites and poor Otos often arrived starved and weak. If you can get them to stabilize they can be very happy fish.

I think there is something wrong I noticed it a couple of days ago but I wanted to be sure. I'm pretty sure they have flukes.
I have seen all of them flicking on decor and darting. :(
Can you use Prazi pro on baby Otto's? I'm going to change 25% of the water tomorrow and start the treatment. It is a cycled tank and the readings are great.
Wish me luck....Thanks for your help

Back
Top Bottom