I really love Caribbean fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
with a curly_Q energy saver bulb and a home depot fixture totaling about 12 dollars.
look for a bulb that boasts a kelvin of 5000 or above. i like a 6500 k lamp.
something like this-
img_1192700_0_de009690a65d71fde112f47430a0d369.jpg

img_1192700_1_af61d06b167b8e30f2a349218ca307e8.jpg

All right, seems simple enough. Other than the spaghetti algae, some live sand, and a little rock rubble, what else could I potential put in the refugium? Or should I just let it be?

All right, so the final set up for the filter/heater I think will work like this.
Eshopps p300 overflow box, 1" FPT x FPT Coupling, 1" MPT x Insert Adapter, 1" vinyl tubing, 1" MPT x Insert Adapter, 1" FPT x FPT Coupling, 1" MPT x Slip Adapter, proflex model 2 sump, azoo 300w titanium heater, reef octopus 110 skimmer, model 2200 quiet one pump, 1" ball valve, 1" MPT x Slip Adapter, 1" pvc pipe, 1" check valve, 1" pvc pipe, 1" MPT x Slip Adapter, 1" FPT x FPT Couplings, 1" MPT x Insert Adapter, 1" vinyl tubing, directional U-tubing into tank.

are you sure the proflex sump will fit the skimmer? that's a lot of money for that thing too. you could make your own sump out of a standard glass tank for a lot cheaper.

yes, just find the largest standard tank (new or used) that will fit in your stand or wherever you plan to put the sump and partition it with solid panels, glued in with aquarium caulk. many folks use plexiglass or even pre-cut glass panels, but i found it very efficient to use common kitchen cutting boards from walmart. cheap and strong.
you'll want 3 chambers- intake, refugium, and return.
here's one i made out of a 55 gallon tank-
img_1192914_0_e80fcf8a0c08d504d3a7320e39f4fb1c.jpg

you'll see the bubble trap just before the return section.

running-
img_1192914_1_d333f1b6ba40445f71847c887c4525a7.jpg

So for the intake, I just need a hose going into the chamber? Nothing to reduce micro bubbles in the refugium?
Would a 29 gallon tank work? I don't really have any constraints as to the sump size.

Oh wate, I was looking at it backwards lol. You just put the Skimmer first and the under over acts as a bubble trap.

a 29 would work, but the more space you have, the easier your life will be. yes, intake area holds the skimmer as well, after the 2 partitions, is the return. there are many more complicated designs, but they all work about the same.

Actualy, it would be just as easy and only 10 dollarsish more expensive to get a 40 gallon breeder. I think that I will add a second set of baffles before the pump, to prevent micro bubbles from forming due to a waterfall effect.
here is a picture of what I mean (Sorry for the quality):

Drawing.jpg

Ok, What if I cut the last baffle and widened the gap between the other 2. That would let me add a sponge like this: Berlin Sump Large Replacement Sponge 5" x 14" x 2.5" (I just have to cut an inch off and it would fit) to cut down on the bubbles.
And what about grounding? I was going to use something like this: Aquarium Safety: Ultra-Ground Titanium Probe or this:Ultralife Titanium Grounding Probe (I think they are the same thing) but I can't figure out how I would install it (the wire part).

i don't think you are going to have a problem with bubbles, but bringing the water over the first partition, the water and bubbles come crashing down and make more bubbles...the bubbles float to the top and the water goes underneath. i never understood why someone would make the water come over yet another partition and come crashing back down again to create new bubbles.

i have never used a grounding probe, so i can't help you with this. i was udner the impression you plugged that into an outlet.

Well you have to have another over-partition if you have a refugium don't you? It you didn't, the return pump could potentially suck up the macro algae, or even sand.

after the refugium, you have one partition starting at the bottom, just like you have in the drawing, and then a second which forces water down (and bubbles up). the short third one is the one i say is not necessary.

Yes, I am going to remove that one and add a coarse sponge or media bag of some kind to the space. This is a quick drawing of what I mean.

Drawing 2.jpg

i don't think you need 2 sets of bubble traps, but if you have room for them, what the heck.
also, that sponge is going to be hard to get out of there for cleaning. and lastly, any critters from the fuge are just living to die, without any benefit to the system, since they are gonna get caught in that sponge and washed down the drain during maintenance. i would completely skip the sponge.

All right, what sort of supplements do I need. From what LiveAquaria says, here is what needs things and what they need:
Florida Live Sand, trace elements
Caribbean Live Rock, Calcium, Strontium, Iodine, Trace Elements
Chaetomorpha Algae, Magnesium, Trace Elements, Iron
Pincushion Urchin, Calcium, Trace Elements
Brittle Sea Star, Trace Elements
Porcelain Crab, Calcium, Magnesium, Iodine, Trace Elements
Rock Flower Anemone, Iodine, Trace Elements
So it seems like a lot: trace elements, calcium, strontium (?), iodine, magnesium, and iron. What all should I use for these and is there anything else?

Back
Top Bottom