I really messed up!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tigroscr

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just did probably one of the dumbest things I've probably ever done in my bleepin life! Converted over my 55 g to a 75 g with last weekend which I really like btw but one thing I don't like is in the white pfs everything shows up including uneaten food and of course fish poo! so I went out last Saturday and bought some more yo-yo loaches cuz i have them in my 40g and think they're the greatest at cleaning up left over food! So anyway to make a long story short I did qt them btw for about 6 days and everything seemed fine with them and I had purchased them from a reputable lfs. Well my bright stupid idea was to put them in my 75 g with my Oscar! STUPID idea I put 4 of them in there and within a matter of 5 minutes he ate 2! I'm so darn mad @ myself!! Please don't hate me! It was very stupid and I would never do it again! I don't even feed the big guy live fish! Luckily I was able to get the other 2 out. there went 12.00 down the drain! But I don't even care about the stupid money! Poor little yo-yo's didn't even stand a chance! I sure wish there was something I could get that would clean up the uneaten food that he won't eat, any ideas? :-(

Gravel vacuum. Or some sort of pleco. They can handle themself. But either way you need to vacuum because the poop

seekinghealth said:
Gravel vacuum. Or some sort of pleco. They can handle themself. But either way you need to vacuum because the poop

Yeah I just set up the tank Saturday and have already vacuumed twice.

Ya they're messy. I've had two. I'm not really sure about the poop. But for left over food just get a pleco. (not common)

Don't feel bad. I think I killed a neon by squishing him with the fish net :(( I did feel bad

Flossie said:
Don't feel bad. I think I killed a neon by squishing him with the fish net :(( I did feel bad

I read that thread... sorry about that..

So it looks like I'm stuck with plecos! I love plecos but I kinda wanted something else, I already have
a pleco in my 75 g and he does an ok job at getting the leftover food but he doesn't really aerate the sand like loaches do! I thought about some kind of shrimp but I'm sure they would get eaten too! :-(

Hey man, everybody makes mistakes! Don't beat yourself up. I've got an african featherfin I bought about 6" long. He cleans up GREAT and he ain't skeered! He coexists with cherry barbs, angels, rams, and an albino pleco and they look good too! Good luck.

I was gonna say snails but he would probably eat those too.. this is why I no longer have oscars.. haha I love them to death though. They have so much personality.

ive heard of striped raphael cats being kept with oscars,they get pretty big and are covered in spikes

What do u guys think about ottos? He won't eat them if they're a decent size. What's really unusual is he's normally such a picky eater he normally only eats his cichlid pellets and turns his nose up at everything else I've tried to give him a varied diet but he won't even touch beefheart and most oscars love it! I still feel so bad about those poor little yo- yo's poor little guys didn't even stand a chance. They were so small too I've never seen any that small! The ones I have in my 40g were at least 2 inches when I got them now they're about 4 in. But these are probably only an inch if even that I should have known better! My bad :-(

Back
Top Bottom