I seem to be a warning to others...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishieMomma

Aquarium Advice Freak
A detailed in another thread, I lost at least half my fishies, probably due to two "rookie" mistakes. Thought I'd share what I learned so others can avoid them: #1 - I added too many fish at once to my 55 gallon. The recommended about is no more than 3 a week. The tank wouldn't have been overstocked had I added them slowly. The ammonia spiked and I wasn't doing the twice a day parameter checks with my API Master Kit so a bunch of old and new fish died from the stress. This weakened them enough that when I made mistake #2 that was too much for much of the remaining stock.

#2 A week or so after disaster #1 I accidentally dumped too much food in the tank and figured the fish would just eat really well that time. What I SHOULD have done was tried to skim off the food, done a major PWC and watch the chemistry twice a day doing major water changes as needed and proactively.

Both mistakes happened because I naively assumed that my usual water change schedule of 76-80% twice a week remained adequate despite the added pressure on my BBs.

Sigh...Let this be a lesson.

Back
Top Bottom