I spread the aquarium love!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

corrado33

Aquarium Advice Freak
So, I convinced my cousin to get a small 5 gallon stainless steel frame. (He likes the really old time look). Plus it's pretty much free because I have an extra everything (heater, filter, gravel etc.) However, the filter I have is a really old box filter. You know, the ones powered by an air pump? Also called bottom filters? I know they're pretty much the cheapest, and least effective filter, but it'll work for him. (Plus it's a betta, they don't need tons of filtration, and they don't like currents anyway.) The only thing is, I have NO IDEA how they work. The one I have has three pieces.

The bottom, outside housing.
The inside piece that holds the filter media.
And the top cover piece.

The inside and top piece has two holes in it, a bigger one, and a smaller one. The smaller one is for the air hose. The bigger one? I have no idea. I'm assuming another tube of some kind. Anyone have a diagram?

Thanks!

Actually, not to doubt you, but I found kind of a diagram. A short tube goes in the big hole, the water drains from the bottom of the filter, it gets pulled through the filter top to bottom, then out the big tube (with the bubbles). So, I guess it is a place for the bubbles to escape, but it's pretty cool how it works.

Na, this isn't an undergravel filter. Those are easy. I think this might be called a corner filter? I don't. Here's a couple pics.
0320000928.jpg

0320000928a.jpg

0320000928b.jpg

0320000928c.jpg

No experience with that type. But just get a sponge filter rated for a 10g. Much easier to deal with I'm sure. You just rinse it in tank water. Nothing to change out except maybe the sponge in a few years.

Oh and FYI, bettas don't always dislike current. Our's love swimming against the current.

Now just hit up wal mart for some cheap poly fil and stuff it in, this way it can be changed out once it gets dirty. Also a bag will last you a long time!

Back
Top Bottom