I think I killed all my Cory's?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sanjosalien

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I need some help guys I did my regular weekly water change on my new tank and I watched just about all if not most of my Cory's just stop breathing and either float to the surface or sink and basically die. I'm devastated being that I have a total of 8 Cory's

As I'm watching my tank some of them are actually coming back and swimming everywhere & now my pleco that I've had in the same tank keeps going up for air something she never did.

Any ideas on what's going on or how I could possibly help!! Please

It's a 29 gallon*
AC30 HOB*
Aqueon Pro 100 heater
Also running a sponge filter on the other end.

Water parameters
Nitrate 10ppm
Nitrite 0
Gh 150
Kh 140
pH 7.8

I need some help guys I did my regular weekly water change on my new tank and I watched just about all if not most of my Cory's just stop breathing and either float to the surface or sink and basically die. I'm devastated being that I have a total of 8 Cory's

As I'm watching my tank some of them are actually coming back and swimming everywhere & now my pleco that I've had in the same tank keeps going up for air something she never did.

Any ideas on what's going on or how I could possibly help!! Please

It's a 29 gallon*
AC30 HOB*
Aqueon Pro 100 heater
Also running a sponge filter on the other end.

Water parameters
Nitrate 10ppm
Nitrite 0
Gh 150
Kh 140
pH 7.8

first question will be did you treat the water you put in with water conditioner like seachem prime? second question is how much of the water did you change?

I make sure to always treat my new water I use API Quick Start & I did a total of about 6 gallons so 20% water change.

I make sure to always treat my new water I use API Quick Start & I did a total of about 6 gallons so 20% water change.

as far as i know api quick start does not do anything for chlorine or chloramine thats in treated water. it only handles ammonia and nitrites. you need to use something like seachem prime to neutrilize the chlorine.

I've always used API Quick start and StressZyme and have never had any issues could that be it than?

Get a dechlorinator product. Aqueon, tetra, Seachem Prime, ect...

I'd also add a second ac30 HOB.

Nah, don't use that as a dechlorinator. As far as I know it's a BB booster.

Personally, I'd run two HOBs. You aren't getting a lot of tank turnover with the single hob you have.

I use stress coat. I wouldn't use that as a primary dechlorinator....not to say it doesn't work for that. Worth a shot to give Seachem Prime a try. It's good stuff and will convert your ammonia to the safer ammonium for up to two days. Your fish behavior seems to be from a water quality issue or lack of oxygen.

Even though I've used the same source of water with all of the same water treatments as I did today?

Did you match the water temp? If the temps are really off it can do something with the gasses in the tank and really mess up your fish, to the point of killing them.

You didn't post your ammonia readings. I'm guessing your tank is cycled. Based on the info I'm assuming you need to try a different dechlorinator just to eliminate that question. If it's a lack of oxygen a second HOB should give you more surface agitation and just the fact I think you need more turnover in your tank especially with a pleco.

Good point toad.

I just did another amonia test using the master kit I'm at 0.25ppm and I did at on my original post I have both a HOB and a sponge filter on the other end with an extendable uplift tube so I don't think surface agitation is the issue?

From what I have read stress zyme seems to be just bacteria in a bottle. They have one that is a dechlorinator called stress coat.
Yeah I have both and Stress Coat deff is a Dechlorinator Stress Zyme is BB booster

Back
Top Bottom