I think I might own a bass...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chainsaw

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I picked up some minnows today (bullhead food) and upon closer inspection of the bunch, one appears to have markings similar to some sort of bass. I put him in a small empty betta tank for now so he won't be eaten, and hopefully soon I'll be able to tell if he in fact is a bass or just some crappy minnow. In which case he will become food.

I'll keep y'all posted. :)

Well, that bass disappeared when I put a dwarf frog in the tank. But I just picked up another load of minnows today and it looks like I've got another bass. Gotta put the froggy in my 20 gal before he gets hungry. :?

I would love to have a tank with local species, but I would need 300 gallon tank. Imagine, Largemouth Bass, Smallmouth, pickeral, perch, sunnies!!!!! Sorry.... if it's possible please post a pic of that bass, would love to see him!

I kept a largemouth years ago. I also wanted to have a wild fish tank. The bass was 3 inches. I put a 4 inch bluegill in with him that probably out weighed the bass by 6 times. The bluegill didn't last a day. He killed everything I put in the tank and ate anything that was half his size or smaller. It might work if you had a really big tank though. :D

I would post a pic but the fish is about 3/4 - 1 inch right now, and my crappy digital camera doesn't like to focus correctly if you try to take a close-range picture.

He's just in a 10 gallon right now with a few serpae tetras. I've got my eye on a 75 gallon tank for him (when he gets bigger of course) and my bullhead. Until he outgrows that, then I will see if my LFS wants him to put in their BIG tank, or I'll release him into my neighborhood pond which already has largemouth bass and some enormous cats in it.

I'm suprised that I haven't gotten flamed for keeping a fish that I know will outgrow any tank I can put him in. Thanks :D .

He's just in a 10 gallon right now with a few serpae tetras

I'm surprised, bass are coolwater spieces, where tetras are tropical.. oh well, but the time you ID him, he may be the only fish in the tank..

Take whatever shot you can, I used to see smallmouth when they were less the 3/4", they are actually pretty easy to ID.. I've only seen a couple largemouth and rockbass, but I'm sure a lot of people here will love playing ID the fish :D

Back
Top Bottom