I think I've done it wrong

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jujubee

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm a new member after lurking and gathering a bunch of information...now, I'm no pro. I read about the nitrogen cycle and never knew about it before. I decided to set up a 10 gallon aquarium, rather heavily planted (several java fern, Anubis, Amazon sword and one moss ball.) I have only recently set up a planted aquarium for my african dwarf frogs, I have had no experience before about a month ago. So, I set up the aquarium it's going great, I wait a week and the levels seem to be doing well. I added 3 platies sice they were said to be hardy plus I like them, things are great but my ammonia level was around a 3 I had no nitrite and a little nitrate my ph was 7 hardness was low as well. I did a water change and decided after a week to add one more platy. I had two males and two females at that point. Ph shot up as well as hardness, I mean 180+ the water in Virginia is rather hard so I figured it was the water.I decided since hey things are great lets add 3 guppies since it's a planted aquarium lots of hiding places yada yada...I think one of my guppies is stressed (glass surfing) could it be due to space or the ammonia? My fish are eating and swimming just fine they sometimes school but this one fish has got me concerned. My ammonia is still 3 and my nitrites went up. Did I add too many fish at once :( is my cycle just completing? I love aquatic animals and I just want to do this right.

You added way too many at once and then added more so that's part of the issue. You will probably need to do daily water changes to keep ammonia levels down. You never want get above .25ppm. If you haven't already got a test kit, I recommend buying API master test kit. You can get it for $20 off amazon and $30 at a petsmart or petco. Now as far as your cycle you are just starting really. When nitrites start to spike this is the longest part of cycling. Eventually when you see some Nitrates and ammonia and nitrites are at 0ppm then your tank is cycled. Fishin cycling is not impossible so don't worry you just need to check the ammonia levels and nitrite levels daily and do water changes when ammonia gets above .25ppm. At your levels now I would immediately do a 50% water change, make sure to add a dechlorinator to new water before adding it to the aquarium. After a few hours, recheck the chemical levels.

You guys are very helpful, I'm glad people who know about aquariums and water conditions can actually give great feedback, thank you!
If I use spring water will it affect my aquarium negatively? I use spring on another aquarium I have with 3 african dwarf frogs and 2 nitrite snails. My readings are perfect across the board in that aquarium. But since I used tap water (used a dechlorinator) for my bigger aquarium will the spring actually help or harm??

Update! I just did a reading for my platy/guppy tank readings are

No3 20
No2. 1
Ph 7.5
Kh 80
Gh 180
Ammonia between 0.5 and 1.0

This is without water change, I'm waiting for the tap water to be usable as I write this :D

Spring was
No3 0
No2 0
Ph 7.5
Kh 240
Gh 180

Tap
No3 0
No2 0
Ph 7.5
Kh 80
Gh 120
It went down to 7.0 in ph after I let the dechlorinator sit for a while. I'm not sure if it actually had anything to do with it??

I did a normal water change with dechlorinated tap in my platy/guppy tank and the readings weren't bad at all
And 180
Ammonia still 0.5-1.0

Spring was
No3 0
No2 0
Ph 7.5
Kh 240
Gh 180

Tap
No3 0
No2 0
Ph 7.5
Kh 80
Gh 120
It went down to 7.0 in ph after I let the dechlorinator sit for a while. I'm not sure if it actually had anything to do with it??

I did a normal water change with dechlorinated tap in my platy/guppy tank and the readings weren't bad at all
And 180
Ammonia still 0.5-1.0

I believe tap water will decrease in ph slightly as it sits for a bit, seen some threads on this. Not sure how long it takes. Good to see ammonia coming down. Just keep following info above. Tap water looks fine, spring does seem high to me for kH and Gh. I've got guppies and platies at around 120gh and kH as preference but your tank kH and Gh look fine.

I believe tap water will decrease in ph slightly as it sits for a bit, seen some threads on this. Not sure how long it takes.

About 24 hours. That's how long it takes for the gasses added to the water to bubble out. It's the absence of those gasses that make a difference to the ph

I just don't think 4 platties and 3 guppies in a 10g tank is going to end well. Especially as they begin to multiply.

I know it seems a bit much but I've seen several tanks with several fish, tanks that shouldn't really have as many as they do but thrive. It's rather heavily planted I have around 10 plants so far some of which are still growing but getting huge as each day goes by. My filter is for around 30 gal. My readings are getting better and they all get along, they all swim together sometimes! I know I shouldn't try to justify my reasoning for having so many fish because it is a bit crammed but I feel the added plants give great hiding spots and helps with water quality.
I plan on getting a smaller tank for the sick and babies when they come along. I was told when the platys do give birth to wait it out a few days bc the percent will drop to about 5% living. Is that true? I know live bearers eat their young but how long should I wait before separating the young. And do you have any suggestions as far as size tanks for the sick, I would think smaller and for the fry a bit bigger? Will they need to be filtered?

Update on my tank, everyone is doing great but I have a slight case of ich. I'll be in the process today to hopefully rid my fish of this. None seem stressed or are rubbing on plants or decor. I will do another reading later in the day after I do a deep clean and add some aquarium salt to their new water. I've been learning so much from everyone with every word, I'm thankful for you!

I know it seems a bit much but I've seen several tanks with several fish, tanks that shouldn't really have as many as they do but thrive. It's rather heavily planted I have around 10 plants so far some of which are still growing but getting huge as each day goes by. My filter is for around 30 gal. My readings are getting better and they all get along, they all swim together sometimes! I know I shouldn't try to justify my reasoning for having so many fish because it is a bit crammed but I feel the added plants give great hiding spots and helps with water quality.
I plan on getting a smaller tank for the sick and babies when they come along. I was told when the platys do give birth to wait it out a few days bc the percent will drop to about 5% living. Is that true? I know live bearers eat their young but how long should I wait before separating the young. And do you have any suggestions as far as size tanks for the sick, I would think smaller and for the fry a bit bigger? Will they need to be filtered?

I think my hospital tank is 10 or 15l (3 or 4g) - must find it. Anyway on filtering I would run a gentle filter on both tank types with carbon excluded on the hospital tank to stop it soaking up any medicine (the directions should warn you on carbon removal as needed and if you did go down this road). I just have a small HOB filter with wool in it. I have a decent sized floating plant in the tank and find the babies end up hiding in there, not sure on %.

You can remove live bearers as soon as they are born. Many people just remove the parents after birth because ita a lot easier to move two or three fish then all those tiny fry. And this way ypu don't need to worry about the mother aborting from to much stress.

I personally use a 20g for mt qt I also have a 35 for qt but its being used as a grow out tank right now..and normally I just use a corner filter that I seed from my canister.

Back
Top Bottom