I think my Bolivian Ram is Blind :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
cloudy eye can also be caused by parasites. there's a whole range of things that cause cloudy eye. i don't think fish can get cataract... but i haven't exactly researched the topic ;) maybe do a google search?

PHOTOS of blind fish

OK back from work. I just got home, snapped some photos. The water looks clearer but the eye doesn't. She is still sitting on the bottom of the tank, not eating. Not phased by light at all.
Attached are some pics. Help me please. Is she already blind and I am too late. One eye has a slight haze over but a white dot smack dab in the middle. The other eye is hazed over. :(

Attachments

• IMG_3174.jpg
    IMG_3174.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 175
  • photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 101
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 98
(I'm just repeating this from questions i got asked) Is the cloudiness in the slime coat, lens or deep down inside the eye? Has it got flakes or specks of white or just milky white?

(I'm just repeating this from questions i got asked) Is the cloudiness in the slime coat, lens or deep down inside the eye? Has it got flakes or specks of white or just milky white?

There are def. no flakes or specks of white.
Not sure what you mean by is the cloudiness in the slime coat. When I shine a light in her eye it just looks hazy white, not milky white... her eye looks like light gray? see pic. sorry cant get better ones...
The GREAT news is, I just dropped a flake infront of her and I saw her suck it up!

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 91
tobaj said:
There are def. no flakes or specks of white.
Not sure what you mean by is the cloudiness in the slime coat. When I shine a light in her eye it just looks hazy white, not milky white... her eye looks like light gray? see pic. sorry cant get better ones...
The GREAT news is, I just dropped a flake infront of her and I saw her suck it up!

I asked because if there was white flecks right inside the eye it could have been flukes. But it doesn't sound like it is. What I meant about the slime coat was is the cloudiness on the outside layer of the eye or deep down.

Hi Guys
Just an update. My fish is completely blind but she is managing.
Tonight I was cleaning the tank and noticed that my other male fish (which I got at the same time as my blind fish) has a white cloudy dot in the middle of his right eye. His other eye is fine. All other fish in the tank have no cloudy spots on their eye. I don't know what is going on. Can someone please provide me with some suggestions. I am depressed. 2 fish now have cloudy spot on their eye.
If I remember correctly, this is how the other one started...
Can it be something genetic with the fish since they were both from the same batch or is this cloudy eye again?:confused:

I'm sorry to hear she didn't recover. But I'm glad to hear she's coping with it. All
I can suggest is keep you water as clean as you can and maybe start treatment on the newly effected fish to try and stop what ever it is.

I'm sorry if I'm wrong but doesn't macaryn effect your biological filter? I would be hesitant to treat I whole tank with it.

My maracyn Plus says it doesn't affect your biofilter at all, but it's liquid not powder.

(I pushed quote so I missed everything past page 1, will read up after)

Maracyn is also a lot more expensive here than melafix, so I doubt you would want to keep treating the entire tank. Get an isolation tank brother! Very handy.

For the one already blind, just feed half of the floating food you normally do, and add more bigger sinking pellets to even out the ratio. That way, you don't have to worry about blindy not finding food. He'll be scavenging while the others are up eating. Even the others that don't get enough food because there's less flake, will eventually find the pellets on the ground. Good to mix diets too.

As for what's causing it, could be genetics, could be water conditions. If genetics, somethings we just can't help.

Ok I borrowed a 20 gal tank from a friend and filled it with about 5 gal of water. I transported the sick fish into the tank and put some macaryn in the tank.
So far she hasn't moved. Just sitting at the bottom. Looks scared or mad.
Hopefully this will cure her.
I don't have an extra filter so I am just running an air pump to circulate the water...
Hope this works. She looks way more stressed now that shes in her own tank. Previously she was swimming and was a nice yellow color.

Just read you got a separate tank!

5 gallons is way too small, and being stressed will only hinder the healing process. So you don't have a filter in the new tank???? What about a heater????
If you don't provide the healthiest environment in QT, you won't have the success you desire.
My Maracyn plus bottle states you should increase airation while treating (Unsure about maracyn 1 & 2). Are you using an airstone with the pump, or just have the tube in the water? Very little airation without a stone or something. The had has to be very clean water or you'll only be getting adverse results with the additional stress of moving the fish.

And don't shine a light into their eyes!! lol Talk about stress

Any antibiotic can effect your biological filter- antibiotics do not discriminate between 'good' & 'bad' bacteria. Maracyn or maracyn plus is not going to help this situation. A gram-negative antibiotic is needed. kanamycin would be my first choice followed by minocycline depending on the tanks ph.

Back
Top Bottom