i think my fish has clamped fins...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big Ben

Aquarium Advice Freak
My orange molly has clamped fins i think. It swims kinda wobbly sometimes and it's gotten really skinny. It's fins are up against it's body, infact i thought he dorsal fin was completely gone. She rubs her belly against stuff alot. Her tail fin looks as if its shrunk. Her coloration is faded somewhat, but around her tail area and back.
All water paramets are fine, nitrite, ammonia all 0.
10 gal tank, about 2 and half months running.
I have a hang on back filter, Aqua-Tech 10-20.
The aquarium contains..two little corys, 3 balloon mollies counting her, 1 dalmation molly, 1 small pleco and 6 fry in a net.
I just did a water change today. I always do at least 1 water change (10%) a week, but lately every 2-3 days (for the fry).
I've had this sick molly since the day before easter.
Nothing new's been added lately...
I've been feeding it tropical flakes and sometimes freeze dried blood worms, and lately I changed to spirulina.

I was wondering if any of you can confirm what she has...thanks :?: .

I would hazard a guess your molly has internal parasites. Strangely enough I am treating 2 mollies for this right now. If at all possible QT the mollies and treat with Jungle's parasite clear or some medicated food for parasites. Have you seen the molly's poo at all? Is it hite and stringy? Adding meds with fry and cories could be dangerous to them. My mollies first exhibitied signs of clamped fins, then stringy white poo. They are on day 2 of their treatment and already improvement. Good luck and keep us posted.

I agree with Zagz. Sounds like internal parasites. Medicated food is the best way to go, or a medicine that contains metrodinazole (Jungle Parasite Clear).

her poop is without color. From using some websites I figured it's either clamped fins or parasites. I'm getting my sisters old betta hexagon and im going to siphon some water into it, add some meds and get the airstone going. Not sure what medicine I'm going to use at this point but I think I'll try Jungle Parasite.

FWIW, my mollies have been in QT for 2 days with Jungle's parasite clear and poop is returning to normal color. Will be repeating treatment as per med's instructions after water change tonight. Good luck!

well i treated yesterday with jungle parasite in a qt tank..i think it was too late cuz today she's just laying on the bottom gills pumping slowly and her tails just staight. When she attempted to swim her butt was going up but her head stayed down as if it was heavy. I have a feeling that whatever she has some of my fry had cuz they wud do the same thing before they died...that was when they were in a breeding net. I moved the last 5 into my scoop net and let the net sit on the corner and on the top of my heater and none have died in a week.

I'm having a similar problem with my male dalmation molly. I have had him for a few months now and about a week ago he was being bothered by my danio. The next day my molly had his fins clamped to his body and was swimming vertically...the day after that he was lying on the floor of the tank. I re-homed the danio, as he then began to pick on my other fish. I now have a divider in my tank and my molly isolated from my other fish since they tend to pick on the weak. He has been on lying on the bottom of the tank for a week now and it appears very difficult for him to swim and he is skinnier than before. He can only swim few seconds before he gets weak and falls to the bottom..he is still breathing normally and eats when it is in front of him, but he does not move much and when he does it is by wobbling around on the floor of the tank. I have been feeding him with bottom feeder pellets so he can eat more easily. I thought forsure he was going to die last week and am so impressed he has made it this long with his condition! I've been treating the tank water with MelaFix, which treats bacterial and fish infections, hoping that would help. But its been 5 days and no improvement. Any suggestions? Could he have a parasite when none of my other fish are showing symptoms? He has made it so far!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom