I think my Singapore Shrimp is dying...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Manix

Aquarium Advice Activist
I think my singapore shrimp is dying. It keeps kicking the back two legs, and eventually it kicks hard enough so that it is on its side. It was moving and looked healthy earlier, I guess it will die soon. :cry:

I'm not sure how old it is. I don't know how to tell its age. But I just bought it 3 weeks ago in a LFS. I bought 2, one is doing fine and I always see it traveling around the tank.

So far I gently moved the shrimp back to its standing position, and it looks dead. Not moving at all. About an hour later I checked back on it, and I see the little legs moving up and down. But the shrimp is still in its same location in the tank. It didn't move an inch. I was wondering since the little legs are kicking, does this mean it is time to shed its skin?

I don't know the process it goes through shedding skin. So this is a wild guess on my part.

I used to have crayfish. About two weeks after taking one home, it turned on its side and started acting funny. Kicking its legs and kinda convulsing. About a minute later it turned on its side again and just popped out of it's shell. Given that crayfish are more aggressive, your shrimp may have a calmer approach to molting. It may be tat your shrimps shell is too small for it and constricting its movements. Id keep an eye on it incase it is dying, but if its molting it is one of the coolest things to see.

I used to have crayfish. About two weeks after taking one home, it turned on its side and started acting funny. Kicking its legs and kinda convulsing. About a minute later it turned on its side again and just popped out of it's shell. Given that crayfish are more aggressive, your shrimp may have a calmer approach to molting. It may be tat your shrimps shell is too small for it and constricting its movements. Id keep an eye on it incase it is dying, but if its molting it is one of the coolest things to see.

i figured out that if you press the back button it resubmitts your post.....ah so thats why.

i hope it isn't dying, i'll see what happens with the iodine.

thanks for the help all of you.

Back
Top Bottom