I think my tetras have Fin Rot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Todd2

Aquarium Advice Freak
I think 3 of my 6 Black Skirt Tetras have fin rot. Their anal fins are starting to get a little frayed. One of 'em has a little white on the edge of his anal fin. Is this fin rot or just from being "beat up by other fish"? The other 3's fins' are looking good and healthy. I also have a powder blue gourami and 4 cories in the tank. The tetras have been in this tank for a week along with the gourami and I added the cories last Wedesday. I did a 25% pwc yesterday, too.

Water Params. are Temp: 78 F , Ammonia 0 ppm , Nitrite 0 ppm , Nitrate 10

I've read fin rot can be caused by poor water conditions and someitmes water changes will clear it up. Should I keep doing water changes, say maybe 2 25% or 20% water changes during the week, or go out to the LFS and get some Melax fix or Maracyn-Two?

It could be the gourami is attacking the tetra's. Hard to say, I'd keep up on the water changes and keep an eye on their tails and if need be add meds as required. I certainly don't see any problems with your parameters.

If you are seeing white around the edges, at the very least keep up the water changes. If it were me though, I would dose some melafix.

Back
Top Bottom