I think this should work--Anacharis *Updated with photo*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lovemybarbs

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I checked plantgeek.com and I think this will pretty much give me a kick start with the planted tank.

They came with some stow away snails, but I left them on. I think the loaches and barbs will appreciate them.

Right now all I have is aqua fern and an unknown slow growing plant other than the new stuff. I just identified the aqua fern and it says I shouldn't bother. Oops.

The new plants came with some babies sprouting off the sides already with some roots. Can I just snip those off and bury them?

Won't do much to the fish, but it will kick start algae, as you will having several dropouts o nutrients. I have anacharis in my 55G, and I tried putting in Wisteria, and it died, lol. Just sucked the nutrients away rom the Wisteria. The only other plant I have in with it right now is Asian Ambulia, and they seem to be doing fine together. I don't dose the tank, it's the upper end of low light, and the only nutrients are rom water changes and daily feeding the fish. Does very well.

Haha, you won't have any snails once your CLs realize they are edible!

And I agree that the aqua fern is likely a non-aquatic plant... irritating, isn't it? As for the anacharis, it will thrive even in low-light conditions. Good luck!

Thanks! The barbs seem to be having fun with them.

Will the plant grow to the top of the tank? I have a 55 gallon.

How soon should I snip the the little shoots off or should I leave them on?

They will grow to the top. It will keep growing, if you don't trim it you can wind up with 5 foot long strands of the stuff. I would clip the side shoots of once they are 5-6 inches long.

Yes the side shoots will grow if you plant them. The tops you trim off will also grow if you plant them, and the bottoms will sprout new shoots. You will have a tankful in no time.

Thanks! Now I can do this right.

Edit: Here's a picture of the new plants. Do they always get roots coming out the sides like that?

Ignore the moss or whatever from the pet store.

If anyone can identify the one in the corner, please let me know. It was big and almost died off because the clowns were picking it apart and punching holes in it, but now it is trying to come back.

img_749550_0_c714f83fbd28f5b5d898863cf4a857bf.jpg

The roots you see coming off of the sides of your Anacharis are air roots (or water roots) that usually sprout when a plant hasn't yet developed a strong underground root system. Just the plant's attempt to develop more roots quickly. They can be trimmed without harming the plant if you don't like the looks of them.

The small plant in the corner appears to be a sword plant of some type and should do well as long as it gets decent light and receives proper nutrients. Beware that they can get quite large and develop massive root systems. Good luck :)

Back
Top Bottom