I thought fish were supposed to be calming. This is *not* calming.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

odenata

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So, two weeks ago, we decided to get fish. I posted here ("Help me get started?" thread), got some advice, and went about getting the things I needed.

Supplies arrived in the mail, set up my tank. Realized the air wand and air pump needed tubing. Went and bought tubing. Then saw I needed a check valve. :facepalm: (Why don't they sell these things as a set?) Sigh. Got check valve.

I want live plants, so I got several of those plants they sell in the tubes at PetSmart. Planted them, they look nice. Then read that PetSmart is notorious for selling non-aquatic plants for aquariums. :eek: Panic a little. Dig containers out of trash. Phew - I got Amazon swords, wisteria, and an anubias, which, after looking them up, all seem okay.

My tank is now cycling and I'm hoping my plants do alright. I used API First Layer Pure Laterite when setting up the tank. Should I be adding any fertilizer for the plants now or later on?

Now my research into stocking the darned tank has me completely flustered. Wanted to get some glofish, peppered corys, and a crown-tail Betta. Some people think that's okay, others say the Betta may attack/eat danios or that small fish might nip at Betta's fins. Some suggest that Bettas should only live alone. One site says not to have catfish with gravel, just with sand. Then there's the issue of if the fish will eat the plants...

I'm an over-researcher. I admit it. :oops: Please help assuage my fears! Will this stocking work? How many schooling fish should I get? And when it comes time to put them in, what order should I add them into the tank?

:thanks: :thanks: :thanks: in advance.

odenata said:
So, two weeks ago, we decided to get fish. I posted here ("Help me get started?" thread), got some advice, and went about getting the things I needed.

Supplies arrived in the mail, set up my tank. Realized the air wand and air pump needed tubing. Went and bought tubing. Then saw I needed a check valve. :facepalm: (Why don't they sell these things as a set?) Sigh. Got check valve.

I want live plants, so I got several of those plants they sell in the tubes at PetSmart. Planted them, they look nice. Then read that PetSmart is notorious for selling non-aquatic plants for aquariums. :eek: Panic a little. Dig containers out of trash. Phew - I got Amazon swords, wisteria, and an anubias, which, after looking them up, all seem okay.

My tank is now cycling and I'm hoping my plants do alright. I used API First Layer Pure Laterite when setting up the tank. Should I be adding any fertilizer for the plants now or later on?

Now my research into stocking the darned tank has me completely flustered. Wanted to get some glofish, peppered corys, and a crown-tail Betta. Some people think that's okay, others say the Betta may attack/eat danios or that small fish might nip at Betta's fins. Some suggest that Bettas should only live alone. One site says not to have catfish with gravel, just with sand. Then there's the issue of if the fish will eat the plants...

I'm an over-researcher. I admit it. :oops: Please help assuage my fears! Will this stocking work? How many schooling fish should I get? And when it comes time to put them in, what order should I add them into the tank?

Your plants are all aquatic, and good for you for double checking. Thumbs on fish less cycling too!
Laterite is excellent for plants, and you shouldn't require and plant supplementation for a little with that. Amazon swords are heavy root feeders, so root tabs never hurt when it comes to them!

I will have a quick look at your other thread for tank size and stocking

[edit] so with a 20 gal you have a few options for stocking! A betta would do great in a. Community tank with a type of tetra that isn't know to be a fin nipper. Cardinals, neons, Von rio flames, black neons are all good choices and rather colorful. I would get a minimum of 6-10 of one type of schooling fish. A 20 wouldn't necessarily have room for 2 shoaling fish schools. And I would recommend the schooling fish be out in first, and the betta second to help curb any aggression or territoriality the betta may have.

And either an aqua clear or the aqueon quite flow filters for (in my personal opinion) a 30 gallon would be great.
With the aqueon be sure that you don't swap out filters without seeding the new one first (they really get you with those cartridges, and don't replace them every MIT nth. Wait until they are literally falling apart.)

Good luck and ask if you have any more questions! It sounds like you are off to a great start, and really have nothing to stress about since you are clearly researching everything and asking the right questions.

Last edited:

Well it depends. I know your tank is a twenty gallon, but is it a twenty gallon long or high? That's one of the factors if you want to keep glofish. Also, bettas can't really eat danios, way too big to fit into its mouth. Not sure about nipping, but because glowlights are active fish they could stress the betta out.
Cories are fine on gravel. I kept mine on gravel for quite awhile.

Realized the air wand and air pump needed tubing. Went and bought tubing. Then saw I needed a check valve. :facepalm: (Why don't they sell these things as a set?) Sigh. Got check valve.

that's what annoys me about this hobby.
The LFS doesn't inform you of additional, required equipment or information when you make a purchase.
I find it frustrating.

e.g. the pet store sell you a tank.
But they don't tell you about cycling, water conditioners (to remove chlorine/chloromine), biological filtration, fish compatibility...
To be honest, I find it completely irresponsible.

All this information and equipment should be in a complete package when purchasing a new tank.

We can't put the blame entirely on petstores, because at the end of the day - their purpose is to make sales. These stores take pretty much the same approach with other pets, but I think the biggest reason you don't see as many problems with other pets is this:

1. Many of the land-dwelling pets are much simpler to keep. Dog? - Dog food, dog bed, dog toys, dog medicine. Cat? - Cat food, cat bed, litterbox, cat medicine.

2. Fish are the least regulated of all pets (because rarely are you going to encounter "stray fish" messing up your neighborhood). Whereas with dogs, cats, and other animals - pet stores are required by law to educate the owners on their custodial responsibilities.

I do agree however, that stores like PetCo and PetSmart could go a long way simply by creating a kiosk at the front of the Aquatic section that says "Hey, you looking to start an aquarium? Read this pamphlet first!"

That way they really don't even have to train their employees. Just tell them to refer to the pamphlet. And I'm sure there are more than a few hobbyists out there who would be willing to put booklets like that together for cheap or free.

I'm an over-researcher. I admit it. :oops:

I did the same thing when I really got into this hobby and it is the worst way to start. You think, "I'll learn as much as I can and everything will go smoothly" Unfortunately it works the opposite way. When your brain starts conflicting it's own information, you are screwed.

Basically, find one complete source and get the basics down. You can't go wrong with a book. Remember those things? They were the sh!t before the internet took over. haha :) I know every uses Wikipedia but that is not a reliable source, neither are random articles found through Google. Not to say it's bad or wrong info, it's just usually not backed by hard facts.

Forums are mainly for the exchange of ideas. Which, after you learn the basics will be a lot more useful to you. Even then, it's really just for people to brag and sound smart. I do it myself. haha. For a beginner, all of the opinions that get confused for fact will drive you mad. Trust me, I was there.

This hobby is based mainly on experience, so what works for me probably won't work for you and vice versa. I'm guessing you've already met some of the "stocking police" :rolleyes: They like to tell you that Fish A wont work with Fish B and blah blah blah. Get used to it. People here are passionate about fish and it shows, sometimes a little to much. You will learn a lot more through doing than you ever would by taking someones word. People here do have good intentions, but they seem to have a personal agenda that their way is the only right way.

I will recommend this book. Amazon.com: The Simple Guide to Freshwater Aquarium (9780793821013): David E. Boruchowitz: Books
I learned pretty much everything I know from it. My tank and my happy fish will attest to that. (y)

that's what annoys me about this hobby.
The LFS doesn't inform you of additional, required equipment or information when you make a purchase.
I find it frustrating.

e.g. the pet store sell you a tank.
But they don't tell you about cycling, water conditioners (to remove chlorine/chloromine), biological filtration, fish compatibility...
To be honest, I find it completely irresponsible.

All this information and equipment should be in a complete package when purchasing a new tank.

That is because, as responsible pet owners, we should know all of this before making an impulse buy. That is how they make their money. You see a pretty fish, ooh I want it, it dies, you come back, buy another, cycle continues. No pun intended. :lol:

Its a brilliant sales strategy if you think about it. You always have repeat customers until they give up and realize they'd be better of doing their own research. Can you blame them? Money makes the world go round'. Got to get yours somehow, even if that means taking advantage of misinformed people. Not saying it is right, that is just how it works.

You don't see stray fish on the streets, but you find invasive fish in our river systems, lakes, and oceans. Snakeheads are taking over. An aquarium in Florida, accidentally lost some lion fish, they found their way to the carribean, and are now taking over almost everywhere in that area. It's also the same for turtles and all these animals. I hate that petco, petsmart, whatever, doesn't tell you everything you need to know about your animal, and everything that is involved in keeping your pet, before you buy it, so when all goes wrong, you don't just release it, thinking that they're doing right.

/rant.

We can't put the blame entirely on petstores, because at the end of the day - their purpose is to make sales.

But wouldn't letting the customer know they need these other parts sell more stuff? And keep fish happier? If I had a good, local fish store, with knowledgeable staff, I would happily buy a complete set up from them. Would even be happy to pay more. As it is, the two local stores have dodgy reputations, so I bough most of my stuff online and a few things from PetSmart, which is close to me.

I don't know where I will buy my actual fish...

Tarkus, thanks for the book rec. I'll look that up. And maybe just get used to the idea that if I make a mistake, I'll learn from it, and it's not the end of the world.

I would happily buy a complete set up from them. Would even be happy to pay more. .

Agreed.
imo, If I can find a reputable store with Honest and helpful staff, I would come back to that place in the future.
This means more loyal customers and sustainable business.

When I worked at Petsmart I walked every customer (that was willing) through all the set up requirements, fish possibilities, and all the whatnots about what they were wanting...but I'm a fish nerd and most stores don't have that and managers encourage employees to fudge on facts to get people to buy more and the average teen that works there doesn't give a crap. However, I did have customers argue with me after telling them certain fish couldn't go in certain tanks with certain fish...I even had one guy say "Fine, I'll go to Walmart...they won't try to talk me out of a fish" >.> He wanted to put goldfish with cichlids...

ANYWAY, I always had more attitude out of Crowntails than any other betta (other than females lol) but I would say the glofish would nip at the crown's tail a lot and I personally wouldn't put them together, but that's just me...

I even BOUGHT a "complete tank kit" only to discover that it is FAR from "complete." :lol: It does include a pamphlet sort of thing about set-up, cycling and adding fish slowly, but it's...incomplete. And probably overly optimistic about how long it takes for a new tank to cycle.

It is frustrating as a newbie. Even if the store has a knowledgeable employee, if you THINK you are getting a "complete kit" you're not going to go find an employee (or a kiosk or whatever) to ask what else you need. They would totally sell more stuff if they simply had a poster or flyer listing every item you should have...you know, like Babies R Us does with the "recommended baby registry." Even if, as a smart consumer, you recognize that at least half the items on the list are probably unnecessary, you might be prompted to ask about specific things instead of just assuming that a "complete kit" is COMPLETE!

On the other hand, I guess the lack of a truly complete set-up means you have to go back to the store a lot more often. Like the free test strips, it gets you in the door every few days for the first little while, instead of just once in several months. So from the store's profit-making perspective it's probably just as well. *sigh*

Back
Top Bottom