I want to change my substrate.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mdaniel2882

Aquarium Advice FINatic
When I set up my tank I did very little research and used crushed coral for a substrate. After about a month I took out most of the coral and put in sand. now 7 months later the aquarium is doing great. I have 3 pepermint shrimp, several nas. snails and several marg. snails. 2 O. clowns, a six line wrasse, a yellow tang and a flame angel. as for corals I have a hammer, frogspawn, a small zoa colony and a mushroom rock. About 50 lbs LR

Here is the problem....I don't like the little bit of crushed coral I left in the tank. the pieces keep working thier way the the top of the sand.

Would there be any issues with removing everything from the tank and putting in new arg. sand. I just want ALL the crushed coral out I would house the LR and the corals in a 30 gal tub from wal-mart and the fish in a 20 gal aquarium. figure it will probably take me about 8 hrs

1. will I see a cycle?
2. should I put the same water back in the tank?

should have mini cycle after u put the new sand, but your LR should be able to handle it pretty quick.
I won't put the same water back, cuz there won't be a lot free flowing bacteria on the water.

that's gonna be a lot of work tho, u sure u wanna do that?
why not do what u did before, get the CC out and add sand.

should have mini cycle after u put the new sand, but your LR should be able to handle it pretty quick.
I won't put the same water back, cuz there won't be a lot free flowing bacteria on the water.

i was just thinking about stress on the fish and corals. not having to aclimate them.

that's gonna be a lot of work tho, u sure u wanna do that?
why not do what u did before, get the CC out and add sand.

I have been removing CC ever since I changed to sand. not a lot. a piece here a couple there. I am just tired of doing it all the time. my clowns like to dig holes in my sand and they keep bringing more to the top.

Keep plenty of new mix SW on hand for water changes.

can you use a larger hose when doing water changes and siphon some of the large pcs up? After a while you'll see progress. I know there'll be some sand too, but it's still not removing everything and stirring up the nasties.

Back
Top Bottom