i want to start a nano tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
so today i ordered the two koralia 425's and a heater that will be here monday.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411678800.063069.jpg

in my research, i keep reading mixed reviews about hob filters. are they necessary? i was looking into getting this one, but im reading you dont need one? opinions?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411678890.219397.jpg

lexi ??

I like using a hob in a sumpless tank, gives you a place to run media. I don't use any if the stock aquaclear media though, I use polyfil for filter floss instead if the sponge, purigen or chemi pure elite instead if the carbon, ditch the bio balls completely (the rock in the tank is where the bio filter resides) and run phosgaurd when needed instead.

thanks! that was pretty clear instructions! so this might be a stupid question, but are there hob filters that already come with that stuff? ? might be too much to ask for lol

lexi ??

Learning a lot through following threads like this for when i take the plunge into salt one day

Keep up the great questions and informative advice

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

thanks! that was pretty clear instructions! so this might be a stupid question, but are there hob filters that already come with that stuff? ? might be too much to ask for lol

lexi ??

No the purigen, chemipure, or phosgaurd should be available at your lfs (petco carries purigen and phosgaurd by me), and I get polyfil from Walmart, a $9 bag lasts over a year and I just throw it out each week when I do my change. I use the aquaclears too, cheap and pretty much bullet proof, there are also aftermarket mods for the larger ones (70 &110) that are nice.

oh and should i run the hob filter during the cycle?

lexi ??

You can run it with your mechanical, but don't waste any chemical media, you don't need it until you start stocking.

I haven't started a tank yet and I was thinking about a 20-30 l tank ,what corals or fish would I be able to get in this ?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

WImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1414934668.428494.jpg this is the space I have

On the cabinet

Both of my 5g tanks. One tall and 1 long. I use a 240 fluval wave maker in both, a mini-jet pump in both, 25w heater, both have 5lbs of LR. The long is under t5's the tall is under leds. The t5s grow more algae then my leds. Ill be replacing the back of both with an aquaclear 20/30. Just to let you see the difference in lighting and sand.

Attachments

• 1414944122637.jpg
    1414944122637.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 60
  • 1414944156541.jpg
    1414944156541.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 53
Thanks I would like to know what kind of tank the tall one is and what fish allong with some corals would you be able to get in the tall one

Oh and one more question does the wave maker work well in the tall one

Just to show you this is the tank my brother is doing that has inspired meImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415036691.830467.jpg

Both of my 5g tanks. One tall and 1 long. I use a 240 fluval wave maker in both, a mini-jet pump in both, 25w heater, both have 5lbs of LR. The long is under t5's the tall is under leds. The t5s grow more algae then my leds. Ill be replacing the back of both with an aquaclear 20/30. Just to let you see the difference in lighting and sand.

Two clowns in a 5g? That's poor

The 2 clown were both removed. The 5g fluval (the long one) is now a QT tank. The 5g tall is a Marineland portrait style tank. It now has anthelia, a 7 headed duncan, and a blue mushroom. Took the powerhead out. It was aggravating the duncan.

Attachments

• 1415049828428.jpg
    1415049828428.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 63
Are biorbs any good ?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415635598.787656.jpg
This is my ten gal After just recently changing the look and will buy corals later on and maybe one more nano fish

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom