I would love to hear about some tips and recommendations from you guys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquavic

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I want to start to get into saltwater, not only because it looks amazing but because there's a lot more fish options and I would really love to get into it. It's gonna be challenging but I know I can handle it, it's gonna be a while before I actually start but I still want to know how to go about this. I would love to hear about some tips and recommendations from you guys, anything form tank size to the type of substrate and rock. Even cycling, I dont know if the cycling process is different or not. So any information at all would be greatly appreciated. THANKS:)

Well what where you thinking? Fish only, reef tank, predator tank? Nano cube, huge tank, medium tank? Surely you kinda have an idea and price range. I have a 35 gallon reef with 2 fish and kinda wish mine wad bigger but I make due with it. Tank and stand wad free so yea. ALOT or options with saltwater.

I have friends that ask me this same question. I tell them to do a little research (sounds like that's what you are doing) and decide how much you want to spend. People say to buy the biggest tank you can afford however they forget to mention that the bigger the tank the more expensive the equipment. You can spend a ton on a tank but without proper filtration etc, you will have issues. As stated above, you need to think about if you want fish only with Live rock (FOWLR) or if you think you will eventually want corals or anemone etc. I've always had FOWLR but recently decided to get into reef. If I had thought about it a few years ago I would of spent a little more on my protein skimmer and lighting. Now I need to buy both again as they won't be good for a reef system. I could of saved hundreds of dollars. I've just never been into reef systems until now.

paul87 said:
Well what where you thinking? Fish only, reef tank, predator tank? Nano cube, huge tank, medium tank? Surely you kinda have an idea and price range. I have a 35 gallon reef with 2 fish and kinda wish mine wad bigger but I make due with it. Tank and stand wad free so yea. ALOT or options with saltwater.

55+ gallons, it may be a hell of a lot of money but I can't help it!! Lol I just love aquariums. I want a reef tank but like I said I don't know anything about saltwater so any suggestions help, for now money isn't a problem, this build will be in about 1-2 years. That way I can save money and do my homework so I'm well prepared when I actually do it.

I just started my first SW tank few months ago. Mines a 55g tank. Research fish first, make sure the fish you want will be okay in a 55gal. That way if there's a fish you love and gotta have, but it needs a bigger tank, you'll know that ahead of time. After you decide fish you want, then decide if you want sand, crushed coral or bare bottom tank, based on what your fish will need. I have a Fluval canister filter rated for 100 gal, most people on this site will say you should do sump. I also have aqua c remora s skimmer, works great. I've had no problems with algae so far. (fingers crossed) Mine's a corner tank, so no room for sump. you'll need powerheads, I have 3 in my 55g. Heater. I have Kessil LED light and I love it. My 55 took about 3 weeks to cycle, and I used "live" sand and live rock. It's a lot of work to get it started, but I LOVE SW now!! :) Research A LOT. That way you don't waste your money. But don't forget to have fun!! It's a great hobby!!

Beengirl, how many kessel lights do you have? I'm trying to gauge what I need for corals on my 56 gallon.

Well, I have a corner tank, so I only have 1. With the shape of the tank, it lights up the entire thing with no dark areas and any high-light needs corals go in the circle directly under it. Someone on here told me that 1 is sufficient, and so far it has been. I have the ocean blue color, which I do really love, but have thought about adding a sky blue color to lessen the blue sometimes. I painted the back a deep blue, which when combined with the blue in the light, it can be A LOT of blue. Lol

Here's a pc of my tank with light on. It's taken with iPhone, it's a little less blue in person. Lol

image-3511951655.jpg

paul87 said:
I like the bowfront to your cornertank. Still looks great!

Thanks! I like the bow too. It seems more of a natural shape than the hex to me. I just love my SW tank. :)

Yea I wish mine wad a bow. I got the hex front. But hey it was free ya know what I mean!

paul87 said:
Yea I wish mine wad a bow. I got the hex front. But hey it was free ya know what I mean!

Well I woulda gotten a hex too if it was free!! Can't beat that price!! :)

Back
Top Bottom