Ich, Ich, GO AWAY!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Malisa_

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've been treating Ich in my 20 high(thanks to new fishies) for over a week now. I noticed two fish that had 3-4 white spots and got quick cure(melachite green and formalin) later that day and gave them the first dose. I've been doing a 25% water change with vacuuming before giving them a 3/4 dose every day. Since then the spots disappeared from the first two sick fish, appeared on 1 of my tetras, reappeared on the first two fish though now there are about 10 of them, disappeared from the spotted tetra and then appeared on almost all 7 of my tetras.
Shouldn't the quick cure been preventing this? The temp was raised to 88-90 within about 48 hours maybe less of when I noticed the spots. It was that high before the spots disappeared from the first two fish. I kinda thought with the heat AND meds that the ich wouldn't be able to multiply but it appears to be doing so. Am I misunderstanding the life cycle? Or did I just get a particularly evil strain? Should I switch meds? Or add salt? are the lights supposed to be off?
I have 2 GBR, 7 pristella tetras and 2 guppies. I have a penguin 200 filter going(carbon removed)

Any help would be appreciated!!

You should continue the treatments for 14 days and clean the substrate every other day. You can stop the med and just use the heat and salt if you would like. But just to.warn you ick always seems to.be.one of those things that get worse before better. Good luck

Keep the lights off using malachite green (or any other med with the name 'green', ie victoria green, etc). They will degrade it more quickly.

I agree with Andrew as well- you will need to treat for awhile yet and the ich will likely become worse before it starts to improve. Please ask if you have any questions!

I'm battling ich right now in my 75 gallon African cichlid tank. I didn't go with meds. I went (with the help of a few members)

High temp. Slowly to max at 86.0

1 tablespoon of Kosher salt per 5 gallons everyday mixed and dissolved in a cup of tank water.

Water changes with cleaning sand and as much cleaning of decor etc as possible every 2 days.

After water change add salt for JUST water taken out.

It's working well actually. It got worse at first but is getting better day by day.

I did but meds like Rid Ich and Quick Cure but I decided against meds/chemicals in the end. I'm glad I did. Salt and heat are natural and I'm happy with the results.

Just my 2 cents.

Good luck!

Thanks for the help everyone! I guess I shall try to be a lil more patient. Its hard to watch it get worse. Does anyone know if the fish I had listed will tolerate salt well? (gbr, pristella tetras, guppies)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom