Ich (ick) I think?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shalcav

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all, I'm new to this so please bare with me. As I'm new I have been told a lot of incorrect information. I'm aware of this and trying to rectify situations best I can.
So my tank is 19l and I have 3 black Molly's, 4 guppies and 2 platies. I have an fluval (unsure of product number) but its an auto heater. I need to go out today to purchase a water tester kit so hopefully fill you in on my levels later.
My problem is with my black Molly, I noticed one eye swallen the other day and white spots. After looking online it looked very much like ich. I have started chemical treatment and due the second dose tomorrow. His eye seems better but he still has white spots but some of them are seeming a bit fluffy in apearance now? My other Molly has one tiny spot but all other fish are fine. As I have an automatic heater I'm unable to turn up heat.
Can or does ich get a fluffy apearance?? Also if after 7 days of my second dose he still has ich (if it is that) am I able to do another treatment? Freely a little lost so any advice would be much appreciated.

Hi, and welcome to AA!

Usually the recommended treatment for ich is heat treatment. Here is a good article detailing it: Using Heat to Treat Ich in Freshwater Tropical Fish - Article at The Age of Aquariums - Tropical Fish

Since you cannot manually turn up your heater, you may want to consider getting another heater with a thermostat if the course of treatment you are undergoing now is not working.

While stress does not directly cause ich, it can cause fish to be more susceptible to it. In this case, I would say your fish are stressed as the tank is a bit small for your current stock. That is something you will want to look into after you get through this bout with ich.

Back
Top Bottom