ICH infestation in my tank PLEASE HELP ASAP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coolkidthatlike

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well, in my 20 gal. tank i have ich. I am very worried. I noticed it on one of my 2 clown loaches day before yesterday, and today i noticed it on one of my 2 pictus cats (maybe on second, i cant really see him). It also looks like there might be a couple specs on one or 2 of my 6 barbs. I began treatment with quick cure yesterday, and turned my heater up full blast. (around 84 degrees) My pictus is covered in ich, and my loach is has quite a bit. my barb only has like 2 specs. Is it too late? Will quick cure do the trick? what can i do please help, anyone. I dont want my fish to die, i really like waht i have in my tank. any help would be greatly appreciated.

I also just added 4 tblspoon of salt (what is recommended for treatment of tropicals.) FYI here is what is in my 20 tank (i know a lil over crowded):
1 common pleco
3 albino tiger barbs
3 tiger barbs
2 clown loaches
2 pictus cats
2 swordtails

Use the tetra treatment [ 1 drop every 2 gallons instead of 1 drop per gallon ], or you could risk injury to your pleco.

ok, i will do that. what do you guys think my chances are of coming out of this with no casualties, if i continue doing the same (keeping filter out, having temp high, and treating with quick cure)???

Couple of important things to know.

Don't remove the filter. Only remove the carbon is there is any.

Higher temps up to 86f will cause the ich to multiply faster, and 4 tbsp is not enough salt to do anything serious to ich. You either need to:

Up temps to above 86f (only do this if you are sure all your fish can handle the higher temps). Do know higher temps will also stress fish out somewhat, and you'll probably need to add some more surface agitation as higher temps means less O2 in the water.

Add more salt (again, only if all your fish can handle it). Salt levels need to be 2-3 ppm higher then what you normally keep the tank at to kill ich; you'll need a hydrometer to get correct readings.

Keep the temps at 84f and use the QuickCure at half doses for twice as long (nd think about adding some more surface agitation for more O2 in the water)

No guarantees about survival. I don't use meds for ich; I only use the high temps and or/salt and haven't lost anyone, but since I've never used them I cannot speak to the chemicals in the ich meds.

I'm in the proccess of burning the ich myself with 88f tank temps and high surface aggitation.

I, personally, dropped my tank level about an inch below the HOBs overflow so that it fell back into the water, this reates more then enough surface aggitation tokeep my fish spunky

well, sad to say one of my 2 catfish died today :(. I just hope that it doesnt get any worse. Well, i have a bio-wheel, and the filters for that come premade, so the carbon is in the entire filter (cannot be taken out of boughten without carboon.) should i just put it back in, or should i take it out. Or should i run it in some hot water for a while to dillute the carbon.

You can actually cut open the filter and dump out the carbon.

The problem with leaving the carbon in, is that it removes all the meds from the water, so the fishies don't get it :(

Aww :( I'm sorry bout the fish coolkid.

As sweets said, cut open the filter and pull out the carbon. Use a sharp knife or a pair of scissors, and make a slice on one end. Dump the carbon out and replace the filter UNLESS your filter has been out of the tank for a while now. If so, the bacteria may have died; start with a new filter in that case (after taking out the carbon).

well, some more sad news if you can bare it. Just an update. Now both of my catfish have died, and also both of my loaches. this is horible. i feel like a bad owner. I keep on doing gravel vacs, and treating. (i also did the carbon removal thing). I am going to wait for all this to blow over, then repopulate my tank.

Back
Top Bottom