Ich killing my fish :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

h8z2luze

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well so far I have lost a gourami and 2 black neon tetras I put the temp to 85 in my tank yesterday and today one of the neons died. They already have it pretty bad though. I think I see a spot or 2 on my loaches too! I dont want them to die :(

You may want to increase ariation in your tank, higher temps have less dissolved o2 in the water.

Personally, i simply add 2 tsp of salt over a 24 hour period and do not increase the heat, and leave it in for at least 7 days after the last white spot is gone. Has worked everytime without recurrence in my tank.

Well I heard salt is bad for scaleless fish and i have the khulis in there. Ok I got a air stone in there now. I hope everything survives :( I dont want to add meds unless I have to. I will put some salt in tomorrow I guess. Unless someone here knows that its bad for the khulis...

The salt you use is just the aquarium salt right? Not like salt for SW aquariums?

I use plain table salt. Definately not the salt for sw. The sw salt is actually salts while aquarium salt, table salt, kosher salt, rock salt..etc is palin NaCl (sodium chloride).

What is your temp at now? Get it to at least 86 degrees if you are going to try and kill the ich without using any additives.

Are they covered in white spots? While ich will attack the gills of the fish, it's not really normal not to see outward signs of it when you have several fish. There is a possibility that it could be something else.

ya there is salt grain like white spots all over them. One of the tetras I saw dying acted like it was running out of oxygen and swam in corkscrews.

Its exactly like this...

IMG_1122.JPG

And that pic said its ich on that fish. Mine have more spots than that though. Its only on the tetras as far as I know. I dont think thats what killed the dwarf gouramis cause they were bloated and that seems to be a common death problem with them...

i dont know what it is, but i've had ALL of my tetras die of ich... it seems kind of odd...

Heat and salt, use bluez recipe or get some aquarium salt for FRESHWATER fish.

Ive never had ICH and keep tons of tetras.

There is a air stone in there. The heat is staying at 86 I havent added salt yet though. The fish are all acting normal. I think I see a white spot on one of my khulis though :(

Remember that ich can only be killed in its free swimming stage, so youre going to have to wait for the white cysts on your fish to burst.

it's very sad when your little ones are suffering and sick. Be patient, and hope for the best.

do you know what brought on the outbreak? did you recently add a fish?

Ya I have recently added all my fish about a week apart from each other. I have the temp at 86 and added 2 tsp. of table salt over the last 2 days and I THINK its getting better. the fish are very active and it looks like the spots are starting to go away. None of my other fish have it yet either. *fingers crossed*

I have found that tetras are very week to ich. They seem to die the fastest and don't survive it as well, which your situation seems to support that. If it does not work soon you could go ahead and try the salt if you want. Just remember, you can't save every fish most of the time. I am also gonna say something that is gonna hurt and i am not blaming you just learn from your mistakes. That is why you don't buy fish from walmart.

I already added the salt yesterday. Well the tetras were from petco. Everything else except the khulis are from wal-mart and are fine ;)

Back
Top Bottom