ich on lr?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmkx3

Aquarium Advice Freak
OKAY I am currently treating all my fish in a qt for ick( 3weeks now) and I have read several post about ick being transmitted to your tank on lr. I thought that it could only survive if there were fish present. Does it feed on the lr? Where I buy my rock it is always kept separated from the fish usually in a vat of some kind and fully cured. Can there still be ick on the rock? I still want to add more rock to my tank at a later time.

I am going to leave my main fallow for eight weeks but I am now concerned about the rock in the tank. Is the ich living off the rock? I have also read about the ich going dorment. How in the heck do you get rid of it if it does and how long can that last? :evil: I HATE ICH :evil:

If you leave the tank with the rock fallow for the eight weeks, you should be ok. I don't think the ich feeds off the live rock, it just takes that long to starve it out. Part of the life cycle of the parasite is that it falls off the fish. This is the point where it can be carried on rock. But, the fallow period should insure that your tank is safe. This article may help.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-08/sp/index.php

I got ich on a LR from a dumpy place that I never should have bought from!

I totally agree with fluff as 8 weeks fallow will break the cycle and rid your tank. Good Luck.

Back
Top Bottom