ich treatment safe for liverock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fliperz

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I couldn't get my fish out so I took all my coral out. Now can anyone please tell me what to treat my 100 gal tank fish live sand and live rock with to rid myself of the ich. A brand and time frame would be greatly appreciated
Thanks in advance for the replies

I had the same problem and lost all my fish. I made some mistakes I learned from. If it's hot and your temperature swings up rapidly then that could cause it. Set your thermometer to 80 that way if it gets hot it won't be such a dramatic swing. "Ick attack" you can use on your tank but you have to turn off your skimmer and take the carbon out of your filter. It takes longer but it's supposed to work. I have a 10 gallon hospital tank now with just a heater, HOB filter some live rock and a damselfish living in it. If you treat the sick fish with copper you probably won't lose your fish and won't contaminate your tank. Try " ice attack". I also bought a UV sterilizer and attached it to my filter. It's supposed to help.

How about Ich X ?
Or copper can he use copper in the tank with live rock and live sand ?
I would imagine time is an issue with all coral in a quarantine tank waiting to return back to large tank
Even if he broke down all display now and took out all fish into 20 gal hospital tank what would be the best treatment and quickest way ?

You can't use a copper based medicine on live rock or sand. Also invertebrates like shrimp and coral are extremely sensitive to copper. Ich is easy to treat if caught early and using a copper based medicine in a hospital tank. "Microbe lift" is a strong natural medicine you can put in a display tank. As for any other brands I don't have names for you but on the back of the bottles it should tell you the duration of the treatment. You shouldn't have to remove corals or invertabrates from your display tank as the disease doesn't target them. The ich parasites live on fish Nd it's usually stress that brings it out.

Do NOT use any copper based medicines like cupramine in your DT. You will never be able to keep corals or other inverts in there again.

Swing over to the sick fish forums and check out the many, many other ich threads and read the articles that Mel posts in them about hyposalinity treatments. The supposed "reef safe" treatments, do not kill the ich....ever.

Hypo salinity is your best bet other then copper(which means you'd lose rock and most likly inverts) . If you want to go copper use a QT. Which ever way you go remember that even though ich falls off a fish doesn't mean it's gone, just laying more eggs.(which is the only time meds will work) Let ich starve itself, build your fish immune and if you want to be really safe go to lfs and buy yourself a cheap fish. Ich is alway there so strong immune system is a must.

Back
Top Bottom