ICH :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs.h2012

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just noticed my balloon Molly has white spots on her fins :( my Dilema: I have a 10g I can put her in, but no heater. I am currently using all my heaters, which includes a preset 30g and 2 preset 10g heaters and an adjustable heater for 30g, to keep my 55g evenly heated. Friday night I decided to move some male cories and my Cory full off eggs into my 10g and put my 2
Preset heaters in there, hoping she would lay eggs there and they would have a better chance or survival. However last night I noticed the temperate in my 55 dropped considerably (down near 74) so I moved the cories back so I could move my heaters back into my 55g. I have no spare heater to put in the 10g. What should I do about the ICH problem? No other fish but the Molly has ICH.

I just noticed my balloon Molly has white spots on her fins :( my Dilema: I have a 10g I can put her in, but no heater. I am currently using all my heaters, which includes a preset 30g and 2 preset 10g heaters and an adjustable heater for 30g, to keep my 55g evenly heated. Friday night I decided to move some male cories and my Cory full off eggs into my 10g and put my 2
Preset heaters in there, hoping she would lay eggs there and they would have a better chance or survival. However last night I noticed the temperate in my 55 dropped considerably (down near 74) so I moved the cories back so I could move my heaters back into my 55g. I have no spare heater to put in the 10g. What should I do about the ICH problem? No other fish but the Molly has ICH.

Your post kinda confused me a little, but is the Molly in the 55?
Id Raise the temp of the entire tank to 86-7 slowly and keep it there one week after rhe last spot is seen.If one fish has it, the entire tank does.

If one fish has it, the entire tank does.

Agreed. The whole tank is infected. To treat:
Raise heat slowly to 86-88F
Increase aeration
Increase gravel vacs and PWC
Leave the heat up for at least a week after last spot is seen
If you can't get the heat up you'll need another heater. Raising the house temp can help and so can wrapping the tank in aluminum foil and blankets. The tank has a lid?

Agreed. The whole tank is infected. To treat:
Raise heat slowly to 86-88F
Increase aeration
Increase gravel vacs and PWC
Leave the heat up for at least a week after last spot is seen
If you can't get the heat up you'll need another heater. Raising the house temp can help and so can wrapping the tank in aluminum foil and blankets. The tank has a lid?

Haven't seen you here in a while! Welcome back!!

Sorry for somewhat hijacking your thread

I am dealing with this now. My 2 rainbows got ich 3 days ago and is about 90 cured. What I did was increase tank to 84-86 over a 12 hr period so you don't stress the fish. Then make sure you put a bubble wand or air stone in water because higher temps carry less oxygen. Then I did a 30% pwc with a good gravel vac followed by a 50% pwc 8 hrs later. I also used a half dose of coppersafe but it may not be needed. Keep doing water changes daily and keep temp up. Make sure when you add water to prime it and match water temp. When all ich is gone leave temp up for 1 week then slowly bring temp down back to normal.

I forgot to post this earlier. It's an article on ich. It explains the natural way of using just heat to cue it. No medications/poisons needed at all.
http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_ich2.php

Thank you for this! My issue was i was using all the heaters I own (3 preset heaters- 2 for a 10g and 1 for a 30g, and an adjustable one for 30g) in the 55 just to barely keep my temp at 78, so raising it was pretty much impossible. My husband is so awesome, I told him the problem and my worry about it killing all my fish so we had some money put back, so he told me to go and buy another heater with :) not sure how high I can get the temp but I'm working on slowly increasing it.

Back
Top Bottom