Ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cameron6796

Aquarium Advice Regular
Does my betta have ich what so i do ijust noticed and have no quarentine set up

White all over

Attachments

• image-1017287362.jpg
    image-1017287362.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 64
  • image-2317969589.jpg
    image-2317969589.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 74
Well i dont know if its ick yet but im sure he wont last the night im really sad now cuz i l ed his long flowing fins and colour this morning happy and plentiful now not much he can barely make it up to the top to breathe if he survives im going to my lfs 5 min walk away from me and doing what i can to stop it any recommendations

It does not look like ich. It looks like a bacterial infection.
Bacterial External Infections, Columnaris (specific to F. columnaris); Often Misnamed "Mouth Fungus", Fish Tuberculosis/TB Skin Infection (specific to Mycobacterium spp.)
Pathogen/Cause: Various organisms. Positive diagnosis not possible outside of lab culture & microscopy (not practical for most hobbyists). Gram positive: exceedingly rare in FW fish; small handful of SW species, but most primarily do not attack skin. Gram negative: Flexibacter columnaris, Aeromonas spp., Pseudomonas spp., Vibrio spp., Salmonella spp., many others not listed. Non-stainable: Mycobacterium spp., mostly M. piscium & M. marinum
Physical Signs: White, clear, red/pink areas of necrosis. Occasionally slightly ragged/fuzzy appearence. Inflammed patches and sometimes deeper ulcers develop. Various patterns of appearence and presentation. Columnaris usually presents near the head and sides of the body and is often mistaken for a fungus; it is characteristically white and patchy.
Behavioral Signs: Various: lethargy, hiding behavior, "hanging", clamped fins, loss of appetite, general constitutional signs.
Potential Treatment: Broad spectrum antibiotics. (Examples include but are not limited to: Maracyn I & II, Jungle Binox, Aquatronics Kanacyn, etc.). Frequent water changes a must to improve quality. Tuberculosis is difficult to treat because it attacks intracellularly.
Other Notes: Frequent water changes a must to improve quality. Test for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates. Columnaris perhaps one of the most common skin infections of pet fish (livebearer fish and certain other fish especially susceptible). Specifically for F. columnaris, read this article by Dr. Barb. Fish tuberculosis (though not transmitted by the same species that causes human tuberculosis) can be transmitted as zoonosis called "fish tank granuloma" on hands with open wounds (again, another article by Dr. Barb discusses this issue. Use gloves if reaching in the tank with suspect animals.
http://badmanstropicalfish.com/fish_palace/tropicalfish_disease_identification.html#ERM

He is still alive thankfully but i think its just something to do with his slime coating it seems really thick around his tail

It does not look like ick. Imagine if you took the fish out and salted it. That's what ick looks like. That could be a bacterial infection our body fungus.

For ick, i like quick cure.
For body fungus i like tetra fungus guard
For bacterial infections i like macrosyn

Good luck.

Do some pwc, and add a little salt to help his osmolarity. Increase the temp also 2 degrees. These should help him beat this.

I would suggest reducing the temp a few degrees. Increasing it will speed up bacteria growth. Gram negative bacterial infections are more common so look for medications that treat gram negative bacteria. I would start with just reduced heat and salt if the fish isn't looking too bad.

Back
Top Bottom