ICH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jdmLuzon

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i noticed one of my serpae tetras have ich how do i treat it naturally?
my questions are:
-HOW DO I TREAT ICH NATURALLY
- HOW LONG WILL IT LAST
i have already raised my temp to 86 degrees, i've never had ich on any of my fish and i really dont know the procedure of treating ich. HELP PLEASE! i would greatly appreciate all the help.

Hi, I've treated ich successfully twice with just heat. I turned up the heat added an extra airstone for oxygen, gravel vac every second day give the gravel a good clean and i kept the heat up for a week after the last visible spot. It can get worse before it gets better. Good luck :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yep just heat my temp was 86 the same as you :)

I think it was roughly between 2-3 weeks.

Higher temp of 80 for about 4 days, with airstone. 50% wc's every day vaccing the gravel. Good luck. Oh and feed the fish up, so that they stay healthy.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Mine took a lot longer than 4 days to cure, i was told on here to add a week after last spot and it's worked for me. Every one is different ;)

Read post, "treating ich with scaleless fish". Though the fish is scaleless, it won't change things.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

This is how I treated ich and others have i was advised by people here. The ich on my fish hadn't gone in four days and my fish were scaleless. I'm not arguing just this is how I successfully cured it.

so do i run the heat for 2 weeks then do a water change or do I do a water change right away

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

if you're heat treating then you keep the heat raised for a full week after the last of the symptoms goes away. After that it's fine to slowly bring back down.

The daily PWCs aren't necessary (they dont hurt either tho) but additional aeration definitely helps.

I read that the swimmers like to hide in the substrate with increased heat. So, it is good to vacuum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I read that the swimmers like to hide in the substrate with increased heat. So, it is good to vacuum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ich is really fascinating in how its lifecycle works. It will drop off the fish when they go to bed (usually in the same spot every night) and when it's night and the fish is sleeping in the same spot they will burst out of their shells after reproducing and reinfect the fish. It doesn't "hide" per say but it definitely goes into the substrate. However, at the correct temperature it doesn't matter where the parasite goes, it can't reproduce at those high of temps and will all die off no matter if it went into the substrate or not.

Back
Top Bottom