Ich....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

orangepunkins

Aquarium Advice Activist
I had an issue with my filter. It stopped working any by the time I noticed it the fish were very stressed and slow. I changed out the filter and I noticed now my fish have ich. Not a mild case either. I boosted the temp up to 85. So now I sit and wait this out. I know I will lose most of my plants and maybe fish to. So upset about this.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm sorry this happened. But just hope for the best. Ich is a common disease and hopefully some of the fish will pull through it. :-( Good luck! :)

I've never had good experience treating ich with high temp and/or salt. ..

My best method for ich is to remove the infected fish into a bare bottom 10g tank. In 12 hours remove the fish into a second 10g tank, and bleach out the first one. Repete this every 12 hours for 2 or 3 days.

It doesn't have to be a 10g tank just a small easy to clean empty tank. You don't have to worry about the amonia levels or filtration since they get fresh water every 12 hours just make sure you have heated moving water.

This method uses the ich life cycle against it. The eggs that fall from the sores of the fish don't have time to hatch and reattach to the fish in that short amount of time.

Your bigger problem is the possible loss of your biofilter. If your filter was off for long enough your beneficial bacteria may have died off. Your fish waist, unless eaten food, and possible dieing and decaying plants could cause huge amonia spikes that would kill your tank faster than ich.

Check your water levels every morning and night. If amonia spikes I would remove the dead plants and go to your local fish store to buy a small peice of there filter to boost your biofilter growth. Hope this helps.

Brad McLaughlin
Tampa Bay Area

I am battling an ich outbreak just now in my 75g. The only fish that are affected are the cardinal tetras. My LFS guy recommended a product from Jungle products called Ick Guard. It is a liquid that tints the water greenish blue for a short time. I also raised the temp to 82 degrees to speed up the life cycle of the parasite. I treated for 6 days, and now only a couple of the tetras are still showing white spots. I called the 800 number at Jungle products to ask them how long it is safe to continue using this stuff. They said to treat for 5 days, then skip a day , then treat for another 5 days. Well, I had already treated for 6 days, but am skipping today. Tomorrow I will do a recommended 25% water change, and then start dosing again. By the way, you have to do the 25% water change each day prior to adding more of the medication. So far the fish seem to be tolerating it well. I can't help worrying about them.

I am battling an ich outbreak just now in my 75g. The only fish that are affected are the cardinal tetras. My LFS guy recommended a product from Jungle products called Ick Guard. It is a liquid that tints the water greenish blue for a short time. I also raised the temp to 82 degrees to speed up the life cycle of the parasite. I treated for 6 days, and now only a couple of the tetras are still showing white spots. I called the 800 number at Jungle products to ask them how long it is safe to continue using this stuff. They said to treat for 5 days, then skip a day , then treat for another 5 days. Well, I had already treated for 6 days, but am skipping today. Tomorrow I will do a recommended 25% water change, and then start dosing again. By the way, you have to do the 25% water change each day prior to adding more of the medication. So far the fish seem to be tolerating it well. I can't help worrying about them.

Did you remove the carbon from your filter. Most of the medicines tell you to in the instructions but carbon can pull the med from the water slowing the process.

Brad McLaughlin
Tampa Bay Area

All is good now. Just finishing up with the high temps. It's been a long 2 weeks. Fish are good. Lost my neons.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom