ICK- Didn't start right with QT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

ICK has been plaguing our fish from the very beginning, since we've started our tank back up. I've been reading another posters similar situation and I'm confused about what we should do. We have 3 people working on this tank. It's been hard.

What they want to do:

1. QT tank for inveterbrates and treat the tank with fish. Does this completely kill the ICK? We would buy a QT for the future fish to insure we do not make the same mistake twice. It's call KICK ICK.

2. Use this treatment that is friendly for inverterbrates and wait 8 weeks to make sure the ICK is completely gone. Then use QT tank for future fish. It's KICK ICK.

My only problem is that I am not sure this will completely kill the ICK from the main tank.

My other question is how much would a cheap QT be? What do you need? I know a cheap tank can be like $15, but what about a heater, filter, stuff like that. I just need help on how to start my QT tank.

My other question is... if I wanted to QT all my fish to rid my main from ICK in a 10 gallon tank... would it be ok? I have 2 clowns, 4 damsels, a seastar, and a cleaner shrimp. The option of taking back damsels is plausible.

Thanks you guys. I could really use the advice. Information is scattered everywhere. Please respond quickly.

Mango, I'm guessing you are talking about me.

The tank, sponge filter, air pump cost me about $40 bucks. I already had a light hood and a heater. Figure $80 if you need the lights and heater.

I'd vote against putting that many in a 10 gallon. I'd ship the damsels off. Once you try and wrangle them to get em out of the tank and need to reaquascape, you'll never wanna see em again. LOL They're good for establishing a tank after the cycle is trough, but that's about it IMO.

As for the clowns....all I can say is good luck. I believe the fact that the tank essentially cycled with the clowns ( because it's a new tank essentially ) was too much stress. If I were you, I'd go with the HypOsalinity method. MUCH less stressfull on the fish.

DO keep up on PWC EVERYDAY to keep your NO3 down. Including some PVC piping for them to hide out in, and don't forget the PWC....did I mention PWC's everyday? :p

What does PWC mean? And yes I was referring to you... we have very similar situations. :)

Right now... we're going to treat the tank with KICK ICH and feed them garlic.

After Christmas... I'm going to buy a QT tank. Christmas is a money sucker.

yeah, I'd be weary of putting that in your main tank with inverts and LR.

PWC stands for Partial Water Changes.

I'd recommend at LEAST 20-30% on a 10 gallon daily to keep nitrates low.
Good luck!

MangoMartini said:
Right now... we're going to treat the tank with KICK ICH and feed them garlic.

You might want to dig into that treatment a little more. Try reading some of the stuff here...

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/cryptfaqs.htm

I've never dealt with ich yet, but from what I've heard and read the "homepathic" remedies - bascially anything other than copper treatment - have some pretty mixed results. They might make it appear the ich has gone away, but you're only seeing one stage of it disappear. I don't want to get into a copper vs. other solution debate - but it just seems the only 100% sure way to rid yourself of ich is a copper treatment of your fish, and letting the main tank (with the inverts in it) go fishless for 8 weeks. There's another thread on this forum somewhere with some interesting issues about a "dormancy" phase of the parasite, but we'll just leave that stuff in that thread!

If you're looking for other opinions, personally I'd get rid of the damsels and put the two clowns in the 10g QT and treat with a copper based treatment. I'd then let the main tank go fishless for 8 weeks while the two clowns are in the QT.

If you're really wanting to not use copper and go with Kick Ich, then at least if you put them in the QT and treated them there, you'd be using less of the "medication" because of the smaller tank. In addition, during the time you were treating the fish, your main would be fishless and breaking the cycle of the ich in your main tank. That way, if the Kick Ich didn't work and you still had to resort to copper you haven't lost any time letting your main tank go fishless.

Good luck. While I haven't had ich in my short time in this hobby, I have had fish get some bacterial infections while in my quarantine after coming home from the fish store and it's been nice to have them isolated and not mucking up the main tank. QTs are good things.

Props on looking into a QT! I believe this will save you in the long run.
For a QT, you just need a tank, heater, PVC (for the fish to hide in), ph and a filter. I would also suggest a refractometer
, in order to do hyposalinity.
I would take the damsels back, as they become agressive as they get older.
I like to do things the natural way, so I couldn't tell you hos well those meds work.
Another note, inverts won't host ich, so you can leave them in your main, which should be left fallow for 8 weeks, to starve out the ich.

Kurt_Nelson said:
but it just seems the only 100% sure way to rid yourself of ich is a copper treatment of your fish, and letting the main tank (with the inverts in it) go fishless for 8 weeks.

either copper or hyposalinity but that was some good advice.

Thanks guys. Yeah... I really do realize the importance of having a QT and I'm going to have one up and cycling as soon as I can. The problem is I share this tank with 3 other people, so every decision has to be a group decision. They just want to treat the tank with KICK ICH. I think I'm going to make my boyfriend join this forum, so he can read up and realize a QT's importance.

As for now, we're just treating the tank with the KICK ICH, feeding them garlic, and hoping for the best. I have a feeling we're going to lose one of our clowns. This is very sad because I believe they're a mated pair. The other clown is very healthy, but a little stressed. I'm guessing because her mate is sick. :( It really disheartens me. They're my favs because of their cuddling and cute kissing.

My boyfriend's sister is using this funny little DIY fish trap we saw online last night to catch the damsels and take them back. Then she's buying more of the KICK ICH.

I wish we all had the money to get a QT today. Stupid Christmas. It would probably be at the most $40 from each of us. The KICK ICH itself is $45.

Other than already losing 2 of our peaceful damsels... our tank seems to have cycled. We've had it up and running for about 6-7 weeks with one ammonia spike. The levels are pretty much perfect now.

I just believe this is a case of not enough education and listening to our aquarium store guy who wants to steal our money. :(

What's sadder is my boyfriend's sister has been trying and giving up on this tank for 2 years. My boyfriend and I decided to try and get it running as a Christmas present. We got hooked and now it's a fun (currently stressful and depressing) group project.

Hoping for the best,
Mango :D

Wow! Sounds like you cyycled your tank with the poor critters. That is what the ammonia spike probably was. At least you know not to cycle new tanks with living animals...right?
You could set up a QT pretty cheap. Get a 20g, 30g tank (would be better), ph, heater and a filter and some PVC elbows for hiding.
Just keep on top of your water and hang in there.

QT is the way to go. I just by chance put mine back online for a "suspect" Copperband Butterfly we just got. Fish had some signs of light spots. Popped the 10 gal QT online with some Coppersafe and the next morning the fish had some nice bright white dots. Talk about timing.

Check out some of your local Salvation Army stores or Thrift stores that sell used goods for charity (most the time). I usually see a 10 Gal in the store when I go bargin shopping for cheap solutions. (Got an awesome heavy duty desk for a 55 Gal for $35)

DON'T try hyposalinity without purchasing a refractometer. Just a roll of the dice w/o one.

I actually read this one article on the website link provided above. This one fish keeper would actually fresh water dip his fish (Meth Blue too) about 1-3 minutes before going into QT tank.

another option for a QT tank is a larger heavy duty rubbermaid container. the only problem is you cant see the fish from the side. but you can still easily observe them from the top. rubbermaid also makes livestock tubs that are much stronger than a standard container. more expensive, but a good option for someone with a lot of fish to QT.

steve r

Back
Top Bottom