ICK question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ccross

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I had a severe ick outbreak in my 25 gallon platy tank that ultimately wiped them all out. The tank has been emptied and has been sitting fro at least a month now. The gravel was discarded along with the filter media. I'd like to get this tank set up again but I need to know if I need to clean it any special way to prevent the ich from returning once I stock it again.

I had a severe ick outbreak in my 25 gallon platy tank that ultimately wiped them all out. The tank has been emptied and has been sitting fro at least a month now. The gravel was discarded along with the filter media. I'd like to get this tank set up again but I need to know if I need to clean it any special way to prevent the ich from returning once I stock it again.
If it has been completely dry (I mean entirely) for a week or two, that ich is long dead. I think you should be ok. I would recommend that you get rid of the filter media and the gravel, but look, you already did that. lol. Remember to cycle that tank before you add fish!

P.S. I'm sure the experts will chime in, I hope I didn't mislead you.

I would clean tank/filter with a 10% bleach solution (1 part bleach to 9 parts hot water) just to be safe. Soak everything for 20-30mins, rinse well with hot water, fill with dechlorinated water & soak for another 30mins, empty & allow to airdry (preferably in the sun). The only way to help prevent future ich outbreaks is to purchase healthy fish & qt them to make sure they are healthy before adding them to your main tanks. Unfortunately, there is no way to guarentee 100% that ich wont happen again because you never know what fish you purchase may be carrying.

Thanks for the replies. Going to get this thing cleaned and running today. I'll seed the filter with some gravel from one of my established tanks to speed the cycle up a bit. Now I just have to decide what I want to put in it for fish :)

Great! I wanna set this up for dwarf puffers :)

Back
Top Bottom