ID and advice needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

miamitony

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I purchased a 55 gal tank and due to footprint decided to go bigger. I bought a used 100 gallon that has not been well maintained and am not sure what to do now. The 55 gallon has fresh rodi salt water so I thought it would be a good holding tank while I clean the 100 gallon, Whats the best option to remove the algae on the rocks? I believe I see 2 cukes and an urchin, pencil II think. As far as what else is in there Im lost. Any ID of other life and advice would be greatly appreciated .I could not upload pics so I added to gallery. There should be a link in the drop down menu below my name.

Here are some pics. Hope this works.

98209-albums14267-picture68228.jpg

98209-albums14267-picture68225.jpg

98209-albums14267-picture68229.jpg

98209-albums14267-picture68227.jpg

98209-albums14267-picture68224.jpg

any help please.

I can see Kenya trees (the purple asparagus looking trees), a four or six line wrasse, and a lot of green hair algae. That algae can be a pain to get rid of. You may think about changing out that light if you can't turn on/off each bulb individually. U wanna be able to run actinics separate of your sun/coral bulbs. A decent set of LEDs will run you $120 - $200.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If the 55 is set up and cycled, I'd move the livestock over there and just start the 100 over fresh. I'd remove the sand and use new as old sand can be a nutrient sink, where nutrients are an obvious issue in the system. I would then take out the rocks and scrub them down in the old tank water and simply recycle the tank.

Another idea is to convert your 50 into a refugium if you dont have one already. Not sure what that thing on the front glass is. Could be a seahare if so I believe they eat hair algea. Could put him in the refugium to graze on the hair algea, while it sucks out nutrients from the water.

What a mess. I hope you got it cheap! Sump the rock and put your clean rock in the display, after tossing the sand like Hank said. You can leave the algae on the rock if it's in the sump- no worries there, it's where algae is supposed to be. You can keep the light or get a new fixture...either will work.

We rescued a 75G and had worse than that going on....hair, slime, bubble algae, death! It took new lights- AI Hydras, a sump, and a bunch of cleaners (snails and crabs), but I didn't even need to remove any rock. It is all original and just beautiful now! We are 6 months in and it is thriving with new additions and lots of pretty coralline. It was worth every penny to do it right. I wish I had some pics of it when it was literally tanking, but I was too busy trying to save what was there...it was bad...

Attachments

• FullSizeRender 17.jpg
    FullSizeRender 17.jpg
    257.9 KB · Views: 92
  • FullSizeRender 18.jpg
    FullSizeRender 18.jpg
    262 KB · Views: 100
  • FullSizeRender 19.jpg
    FullSizeRender 19.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 95
  • FullSizeRender 21.jpg
    FullSizeRender 21.jpg
    265.3 KB · Views: 96
That's awesome that you turned that tank around, but there's nothing wrong with the T5 fixture that's on the tank now. It may need new lamps, but other than that, it's fine to use to keep corals. You don't have to buy a thousand dollars worth of lights and livestock to rescue this tank. LEDs won't rid you of nuisance algae, no matter what they cost. There's a lot more to it than that. A tank like this has been overfed and under-filtered for some time. Neglected. It will take work, and patience to bring this rock back to clean (many months like Shannon stated), or you can use it in the sump and have clean rock tomorrow.

Sniper or Mr X, anyway I can pm u? I'm looking to setup my 125g tank and have quite a few questions about not only setting up the refugium and the baffle chambers (55g), but also about possibly drilling for heads and where to do so (glass). If not we can talk on here. Just want to vacate less experienced opinions.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom