ID fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nightshark

Aquarium Advice Regular
Anyone know what this is? It's beginning to turn yellow. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1432353712.287579.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Pretty well so far. I use a little excel flourish every water change. I did build a cheap hood with three cfl bulbs to help the growth.

Here's another. Any idea what this is?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1442451059.430517.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1442451075.029970.jpg

I believe its a red zebra, Metriaclima estherae. Although it looks sort of yellow in the first pic on my screen, could be yellow lab but I think its a lighter zebra. Post another pic if you get one. I meant to reply earlier, that's awesome that plants are working out, I've considered some in my mbuna tank.

I don't recommend keeping Africans in a community.
They are aggressive, eat plants, and need different water levels

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Yes I just moved him tonight. He was being bullied in my mbuna tank and just hanging at the top. I may take him back. Very non aggressive.

I believe its a red zebra, Metriaclima estherae. Although it looks sort of yellow in the first pic on my screen, could be yellow lab but I think its a lighter zebra. Post another pic if you get one. I meant to reply earlier, that's awesome that plants are working out, I've considered some in my mbuna tank.

That's what I'm thinking too. It's a gold/orange. I've got a lab in my other tank. Thanks!

Looks like a lab to me, which would also explain the lack of aggression. There are several collection points for this species, some of them look quite different from the yellow labs we are used to, this could be one of those or a mix of collection points.

Sent from my 5560S using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Best I could do. He's much happier swimming all over. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1442536139.506695.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1442536156.291467.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1442536173.458793.jpg

First pic definitely screams yellow lab. Curious why some pics make it appear orange and why it lacks the black dorsal streak. But that said, gillie knows his stuff. Pics 2 & 3 still totally look zebra to me though, however if I was the op I would take gillies word over mine. Not sure why its such a tough call to me, I have kept both species for large amounts of time and at different times I go back and forth on this one. Some shots look absolute lab, a few shots appear metriaclima to me. I can't say for certain.

It's actually a hybrid just looked it up.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I wish I could buy that cichlid from you. A peaceful cichlid? What could be better :).

Back
Top Bottom