I'd Like to start my first "real" tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dalmation1080

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a few Betta tanks (small ones, nothing big), and I would like to actually get a "real" tank.

We have a 30 gallon (I think) hexagon tank in our basement I would like to set up.
For a first timer, what tips would you recommend for me? What type of fish? Filter? Plants? Im really lost on how to start.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

First thing, just make sure it doesn't leak before you get any equipment.
What are the dimensions of the tank? Do you want to have a low tech or high tech tank? And what is your budget?

Sent with my fingers

Yes, I will be testing to make sure it holds water. :)

I really just want a pretty easy ti care for tank. I really love aquatic plants, I would love to have a lot. But are planted tanks harder to care for than regular tanks?

As for budget, I don't really have one. Just nothing super crazy expensive. I mean the less expensive I can do something the better haha.

I know you already have it but that tank is going to limit a few things, stock choice, plants> lighting if planted. Could you get a new tank or cl tank?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

After you make sure the tank doesn't leak, start to cycle the tank. You want to start cycling ASAP so that you can get fish in once it's done.

Sent with my fingers

I know you already have it but that tank is going to limit a few things, stock choice, plants> lighting if planted. Could you get a new tank or cl tank?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I know a lot of people can't stand hex tanks, but I am one of the weird ones. I really like hex tanks.

After you make sure the tank doesn't leak, start to cycle the tank. You want to start cycling ASAP so that you can get fish in once it's done.

Sent with my fingers

How long does it take to "cycle" a 30 gallon? With my little Betta tanks I really don't wait anytime I just sorta put them in when I add a new filter media & bacteria. Which that is probably bad i'd guess ?...

Yes you always want to cycle the tank to make sure the parameters are stable. There isn't really a time limit on cycling. Just make sure the ph, nitrate, nitrite, etc are stable and the tank is good. It can take between a couple weeks to a month or 2.
Also just adding bottled "bacteria" does not really help the tank IMO. Just save your money instead of buying it and let bb naturally grow in the filter media and substrate.

Sent with my fingers

Oh I always thought you had to add bacteria to a tank. Ahh I know nothing about fishtanks

Well, I highly recommend you plant your tank. Plants like water sprite, and cabomba barely require any maintenance. For a filter you probably need like an Aquaclear 50. Aquaclear filters are expensive but work fabulously. For the live plants you need a Fluorite substrate, Seachem Excel for Co2, Aqua Fertz, and Fluorish. It costs about a 100 dollars but your plants will grow wonderfully. :D Also, for your fish gouramis are pretty and active, neon tetras are a great shoaling species, and guppies are fast breeders whose babies you can sell. :fish2::fish2::fish2::fish2::fish2::fish2::fish2:

I know a lot of people can't stand hex tanks, but I am one of the weird ones. I really like hex tanks.

I had a 30 hex - it was a real challenge to stock. My best advice is to go small on the fish and try to layer them, rather than get fish that will all occupy the same region of the tank.

Back
Top Bottom