ID please. What type of cichlid?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Viperchaos said:
Agreed its a gorgeouse Cichlid ,Whats he kept with?

He's with a bunch of shranunka (not sure how to spell it) goldfish. They're in a big tank. Bigger than mine so bigger than a 29 gallon then and it's nice and long. He seems happy. They were the science teacher before this science teacher's fish. I'm keeping my eyes on them since he's only been here almost 2 years to make sure they're being fed enough.

I am not well versed on goldfish, but I think they are a much colder water fish than the Mbuna. Not good for either fish.

Goldfish can take warmer temperatures easily just makes them grow faster and makes them active :)

spoonman said:
I am not well versed on goldfish, but I think they are a much colder water fish than the Mbuna. Not good for either fish.

Yeah they're in colder water. I read it yesterday it said 64 degrees and i was thinking isn't that too cold for cichlids??

Goldfish, put out a lot of ammonia compared to tropical fish. Keep an eye on your levels. I agree with the statement made above: The Cichlids are likely to nip at the goldfish. All general rules have exceptions, though. Just keep an eye on them as they mature.

jasadell said:
Goldfish, put out a lot of ammonia compared to tropical fish. Keep an eye on your levels. I agree with the statement made above: The Cichlids are likely to nip at the goldfish. All general rules have exceptions, though. Just keep an eye on them as they mature.

It's not my tank. It's my science teacher's tank. He enherrited it when my science teacher retired a couple years ago. He seems fine, but i'm going to keep an eye on him and ask the teacher if he added the cichlid tomorrow. He said he's had them about a year now. So they must be fine, but still.. Poor guy shouldn't be in that cold of water.

jasadell said:

Same :) read above comment ^^

Back
Top Bottom