Ideal water temperature fir goldfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I dont have heaters. This is just the temps my tanks average between winter & summer in my home. Fancies are 'coolwater' fish compared to tropicals and can tolerate much cooler temps than tropicals but they function a bit better in the low 70's. Their metabolism & digestion works more efficiently leading to less food-related issues (which fancies are prone to suffering from). Fancies are not quite as tolerant of coldwater when compared to their brethren of commons, comets, shubunkins & koi. :)

jlk said:
I dont have heaters. This is just the temps my tanks average between winter & summer in my home. Fancies are 'coolwater' fish compared to tropicals and can tolerate much cooler temps than tropicals but they function a bit better in the low 70's. Their metabolism & digestion works more efficiently leading to less food-related issues (which fancies are prone to suffering from). Fancies are not quite as tolerant of coldwater when compared to their brethren of commons, comets, shubunkins & koi. :)

Oh ok I've had them for about 5 years without a heater but waters colder then actual water temp so on days when house is cold the water must be pretty cold so I'll get a heater to keep it constant

I would get an aquarium thermometer before considering a heater- they are a couple of dollars at any lfs. That way you have some idea of what temps your tank is actually sitting at. If they have been fine for 5yrs, I probably wouldnt change anything. :)

jlk said:
I would get an aquarium thermometer before considering a heater- they are a couple of dollars at any lfs. That way you have some idea of what temps your tank is actually sitting at. If they have been fine for 5yrs, I probably wouldnt change anything. :)

Oh of course lol hopefully it's not too cold they cost about 30 for the size of my tank ouch lol

A simple thermometer from a Petco/petsmart/walmart only runs @$5. You dont need anything fancy to check your water temps- just something thats functional.

jlk said:
A simple thermometer from a Petco/petsmart/walmart only runs @$5. You dont need anything fancy to check your water temps- just something thats functional.

Oh yeah the thermometer I know I meant the heaters for a 40-50 gallon tank

Well, see how your temps read first. As I said earlier, if they have been managing for 5 yrs at whatever temps your tank may be, a heater probably isnt necessary. If there are drastic swings in their temps, a heater wont hurt either for more stability.

Back
Top Bottom