Ideas for my 10g G.B.Ram tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mumrah

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was reading some articles today on the natural enviroment of Blue Rams.

A few notable things i read:
-Rams love live plants. I observe this in my tank everyday as i see them hiding underneath the wide leaves of my Melon Sword or under some driftwood.
-Rams appriciate some humic acid. The tannis leached from peat and driftwood soften the water and slightly tint it. This is a very natural setting for Rams (or any S.A cichlid).
-Rams don't like much current, or light. Some duckweed will very quickly provide some shade for the Rams, and if you're like me and have a HOB filter, filling the water above the "waterfall" thingy will greatly reduce the surface agitation.

So that's all fine and dandy, but i had a thought about the humic acid. Most of the tannins found in S.A cichlid's enviroments are due to rotting plant matter at the bottom of streams - such as leaves, trees, roots, etc. So, while i was bagging up the 3' high pile of maple leaves from my backyard, i thought "why not use these in my aquarium?"

Anyone ever done this? I would take some of the crispy ones, boil them and let them sit in some water for a few days, then test the params of that water.

Thought?
-D

Oh, and i also want to ditch my gravel/sand substrate for something more natural/better for the plants. I like the idea of a layered substrate. Any ideas on this?

Back
Top Bottom