Ideas for tank mates??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jmurray17

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
100L long tank

Current residents are:

2 Dwarf Gourami
3 yoyo loaches
1 BN pleco
1 Male Betta Fighting Fish

All are happy, infact the 3 yoyo loaches are a new addition (month ago) and it seems the fighting fish is much happier as before that he seemed quite keen on just following either one of my gouramis. No actual fighting or nipping and the gouramis were not phased by this at all. Now the fighter just happily swims around, only flaring if a yoyo decides to collide with him.

Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on adding any more fish to the tank, I am happy with how it is currently but just throwing the idea around of adding another 2-3 fish of similar size in or a school?

100L long tank

Current residents are:

2 Dwarf Gourami
3 yoyo loaches
1 BN pleco
1 Male Betta Fighting Fish

All are happy, infact the 3 yoyo loaches are a new addition (month ago) and it seems the fighting fish is much happier as before that he seemed quite keen on just following either one of my gouramis. No actual fighting or nipping and the gouramis were not phased by this at all. Now the fighter just happily swims around, only flaring if a yoyo decides to collide with him.

Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on adding any more fish to the tank, I am happy with how it is currently but just throwing the idea around of adding another 2-3 fish of similar size in or a school?

100l = about 26 galons. so if i were you I would most likely add a school of small fish such as rasboras or tetras. After that you are stocked and even pushing the limit a little.

Thank you, I was thinking if I did add something it would be a small school of neons or similar.
yes my 2 gouramis are male, they were the two fish I started out with.

Jmurray17 said:
Thank you, I was thinking if I did add something it would be a small school of neons or similar.
yes my 2 gouramis are male, they were the two fish I started out with.

I would look out for aggression between them. I have two males but they are the best of friends! 90% of the time it doesn't work out. Just a heads up!

Neon tetras, cardinal tetras, rasboras, platy, mollies.

Platys or mollies would probly push you over the limit stock wise but they do get along with betas at least mine do. I even have male delta tail guppies in my 30 with a beta.
Neon or cardinal tetras also work really well. I like the cardinal tetras better they tend to have more color to them than the regular neon.

Samzter said:
I would look out for aggression between them. I have two males but they are the best of friends! 90% of the time it doesn't work out. Just a heads up!

Thanks for the heads up :) I have heard that and am just keeping my fingers crossed that because I added them both together first while they were young and change the tank decor around occasionally I can be in that 10% but if it comes down too it I will be able to rehome them.

And also I was thinking cardinals as well, would 6 be a good number, I want them to be happy in a school but I don't want to push my stocking limits too much.

What about a school of Rosy Barbs? I just found some in petco recently and they're really beautiful little fish.

calfishguy said:
IMO barbs are to aggressive for this set up.

I did a little research on them while I was at the store and general Internet consensus is that they're peaceful and don't nip fins. Of course, I've never had them personally so I don't know if that's true or not.

Well, they can be aggressive at times, but mainly they are not. The problem would be that they are schooling and grow to 5-6 inches a piece. You would need a bigger tank. But I agree they are beautiful fish.

Back
Top Bottom