Ideas of other fish to add?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gatewaylabs

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all - yesterday I added my first fish to my cycled tank. Next week I'd like to add more - I currently have:

5 Buenos Aires Tetras
5 Bloodfin Tetras

Obviously I'd like some variety in the tank - bottom-feeders and larger fish perhaps - I have a 55-gallon tank that is 30 x 18 x 24. I'm using gravel in the bottom, not sand, so it looks like I can't have corys. In my previous tank I had a pictus catfish and it was not a problem with the other fish, but read they can be aggressive?

Anyway - hope to get some ideas. I'd like to go to a "real" fish store for my next fish rather than Petsmart/Petco, so hopefully they'll be able to advise me as well.

Thanks!

Not sure on the pictus cat; I've read they can be generally peaceful but territorial. In a 30" wide tank it might feel too constricted; if it was a 48" long then maybe.

You could do a smaller pleco, like a bristlenose (they like to munch on driftwood so make sure you have some) and an angel fish as a centerpiece. You could also increase each tetra school to 8.

Bloodfins and Buenos Aires Tetras can both be fin nippers, so no long finned fish. Bottom feeders you could do a cory school, they would be the easiest. For a larger fish, no gouramis or angels, so maybe a single blood parrot or gold severum cichlid. ( sounds weird but my dad kept one with neons and angels for a decade, no deaths). This would give you a variety of fish at different levels in the tank. Where you thinking a planted tank of artificial plants?

It's unplanted - I've got gravel for the substrate, so thought I couldn't do Corrys.

Hi all - yesterday I added my first fish to my cycled tank. Next week I'd like to add more - I currently have:

5 Buenos Aires Tetras
5 Bloodfin Tetras

Obviously I'd like some variety in the tank - bottom-feeders and larger fish perhaps - I have a 55-gallon tank that is 30 x 18 x 24. I'm using gravel in the bottom, not sand, so it looks like I can't have corys. In my previous tank I had a pictus catfish and it was not a problem with the other fish, but read they can be aggressive?

Anyway - hope to get some ideas. I'd like to go to a "real" fish store for my next fish rather than Petsmart/Petco, so hopefully they'll be able to advise me as well.

Thanks!

You have a Loy of options really. That's a great size tank. I think an angel could work. I'd up the tetras a few each too. Platies are nice and colourful. As mentioned a small Pleco could work. A Raphael cat wold be ok too. If its got good decor/hiding a gourami would be fine as well. A ram or two would dd some action to the lower level. If you have a good fitting top hatches are great fish too. Very unique look to them.
The rms are sensitive, I'd want to add them last and be sure to keep an eye on perams though

Cories prefer sand, but gravel will be ok, the reason some people dont like it is becuase it csn hurt the cories barbels when they dig.

Just in my experience, my buenos aires tetras nipped my gourami to death and I had to move my angelfish becuase of his ripped fins.

Depends on the kind you get. The smaller species, you could get maybe 10-12. Larger ones, maybe 6-7.

Okay - got 2 more of the Buenos Aires tetras today, plus 6 Julii Cories. Tested tank before getting the other fish and numbers were:

NH3/4 - 0
NO2 - 0
NO3 - 10

So I think numbers are still pretty good. Will do a 50% wc weekly to maintain good numbers. So now my total stock is:

7 Buenos Aires Tetras
5 Serpae Tetras (found out that's what they really are, not Bloodfin)
6 Julii Cories

According to AqAdvisor that's a 79% stocking level. I know I can't add an angelfish, but I'm still confused about any other kind of larger centerpiece fish I could add, or should I keep it to schooling fish with those tetras I have now?

Oh - was thinking about 6-7 Hatchetfish if I can find them, too, so I have something at the top of the tank (and yes, I have a lid on it!

Okay - got 2 more of the Buenos Aires tetras today, plus 6 Julii Cories. Tested tank before getting the other fish and numbers were:

NH3/4 - 0
NO2 - 0
NO3 - 10

So I think numbers are still pretty good. Will do a 50% wc weekly to maintain good numbers. So now my total stock is:

7 Buenos Aires Tetras
5 Serpae Tetras (found out that's what they really are, not Bloodfin)
6 Julii Cories

According to AqAdvisor that's a 79% stocking level. I know I can't add an angelfish, but I'm still confused about any other kind of larger centerpiece fish I could add, or should I keep it to schooling fish with those tetras I have now?

Just beware of the serpaes... I just has to return some because of aggression. I had 6 and they were fine for a few weeks.. And last night the turned on nearly every one and chased and nipped. Back to the store they went lol.

Just beware of the serpaes... I just has to return some because of aggression. I had 6 and they were fine for a few weeks.. And last night the turned on nearly every one and chased and nipped. Back to the store they went lol.

Can I return them to Petsmart? I wasn't sure if they'd take them back. Are the Buenos Aires tetras okay, nip-wise, or ??

Can I return them to Petsmart? I wasn't sure if they'd take them back. Are the Buenos Aires tetras okay, nip-wise, or ??

Not sure, I get my fish from a locally owned pet store. They may if it's within so many days of purchase, I'd ask anyway. I've never had buenos aires so I couldnt say, sorry!

There's no local fish store really close to me - closest is about 45 minutes away - hope to go there next week to see what they have! Maybe we'll go back to Petsmart with these guys to avoid more squabbling.

If the only fish in your tank are cories, buenos aries tetras and setpae tetras, I wouldnt return any. The tetras are both active, hardy, and colorful tetras and should been fine together. Neither should bother the cories.

If the only fish in your tank are cories, buenos aries tetras and setpae tetras, I wouldnt return any. The tetras are both active, hardy, and colorful tetras and should been fine together. Neither should bother the cories.

Well, I actually would like a few more species in the tank as it's a 55 gallon tank. Is there something that would be more of a top-of-the-tank swimmer and compatible with the tetras?

Well, I actually would like a few more species in the tank as it's a 55 gallon tank. Is there something that would be more of a top-of-the-tank swimmer and compatible with the tetras?

Have you checked out any rainbow fish? They are more mid level swimmers though. My LFS got in some ornate rainbows and I really liked the looks of them.

Back
Top Bottom