Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flip0204

Aquarium Advice Regular
When I move to Columbus this summer I would like to try something different in a 55 gallon aquarium. I have a Pleco and yo yo loaches and I know they enjoy sand. However I also like the natural look and live plants so I would like to put those in as well. I know sand does not hold plants very well but I was thinking. Has anyone put down gravel layer then sand over top? This might be the standard way of doing it I’m not sure. If not is there something else I could look into? If I go with the sand what is the recommended sand substrate? I have another 50 gallon tank. The sand bottom tank I would like to keep the Pleco and loaches in and maybe move either the platys or the barbs. not real sure which way I will go but they all get along in the tank they 're in now so I kind of feel bad separating them but at the same time they’ll be happy as well. Just throwing out ideas anyone interested in helping I would be grateful.

Sand sifts down through the gravel so you end up with sand on the bottom and the gravel on top after awhile. Depending on the type of sand and the plants you can have a very nice planted tank. You could separate the sand and gravel into different areas of the tank as well, plant the plants right up to the sand and use a plastic divider to keep them separate.

sand

i have playsand in my 10 gallon tank with 2 sword plants (not sure what kind) and some myriophyllum...and they are staying in their place...
with a bigger tank and bigger fish (i only have neons tetras and AB pleco) that are able to uproot and disturb sand it might be a different story

pics included to show my tank

Attachments

• DSCF7832.jpg
    DSCF7832.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 63
  • DSCF7833.jpg
    DSCF7833.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 53
  • DSCF7834.jpg
    DSCF7834.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 52
Back