Identification issues in new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cherry Barb

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay, so I have been doing some research because as some of you may know from my last long post, the person I got this tank from wasn't particularly knowledgeable. They said there were 2-Blue Gouramis, 1-Silver Tip Shark, 1-Black Shark and 1-Catfish.

Okay, so I specifically ask her about the Silver Tip shark. I asked if it was a Bala...she said no. I now have confirmed a definite Bala Shark (also known as the Silver Shark). The Gouramis I knew on sight were the Cobalt or Powder Blue variety, not the dwarf kind. So, we're okay there.

Then I try to identify the black shark. But the pics on the web I have looked at do not look like my fish. It very much looks sharkish and it is mostly black, but it has kind of a flat head. Is anyone familiar with a fish that looks like this or is this definitely a Black Shark?

And lastly, I have looked at hundreds of pics on planetcatfish and I do not know what kind of catfish this is. It is silver with spots an his body and sort of a bar pattern on his tail.

I'm trying to get pics but these guys move too fast. I will post as soon as I can get them to hold still and smile for the camera. *grins*

Anyway, any help is appreciated. I also think I'm making a trip to my fave lfs just in case.

Dunno about the "black shark"- The catfish sounds like a Synodontis, though. There are several varieties of Syno, so you might have to do some searching to find out which you have. Depending on the variety, some can get pretty big (6-8")
HTH-

-J

TankGirl and madasafish I love you guys!!!! Those are my new little fishies! I am soooo excited I finally know what they are. It has been driving me buggy since yesterday. Kudos are coming your way to both of you! Thanks a bunch you are great! :smilecolros:

madasafish said:

Im still pretty new at the whole fish world, but my first uneducated loss was a iridescent shark. after I found info and did more research I found that these wonderful fish are brackish and thats why I lost him. I also have a peacock eel in the tank and couldnt find any info on weather he could handle a little salt. I love those sharks and would love to have one, but I dont want to do brackish water... good luck with whatever info you find, and gosh, I hope Im recalling this correctly.
Melody

hmmm, i thought powder blue gouramis were dwarf gouramis. im not basing this on anything other than the fact that i bought them from a tank labeled "powder blues," but when i posted about them here, people referred to them as dwarfs. they are littler than the blue gouramis with the spots. i was also wondering if my flame gourami is a dwarf. he definitely has a pricklier personality.

Fearlessfisch, I agree. These fish names can be very confusing. I can tell you some only because I was originally researching Gouramis when I was advancing with 20g FW tank. THis is what I know: There IS a Dwarf Blue Gourami. It is small and spectacular in my opinion. Then, there is the regular Blue Gourami (Better known as the Cobalt or Powder Blue Gourami). This is the large one with spots.

Now, Flame Gouramis from what I have read, (and I had to go back and look again after your question) are a small variety of Gourami but I did not actually see it notated as a "dwarf". I hope this info has helped a little. :)

Rose

hmm. yeah flames are dwarf. but not as dwarf as honey, sunset, or sparkling gourami's. lol. i was thinking dwarves as the big ones and sparkling etc as the small ones :). theres normal, dwarf, and dwarver lol

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom