Identification Please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

b-towndoc

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

New to SW aquariums and I am currently cycling my first 30g tank. In setting this up, I am trying to get things ready for a small reef tank eventually. In my last few live rocks bought from the LFS, there are a few things living there that I need help in identifying:

Is the first picture an anemone of some sort? What is growing beside of it?

The second appears to be a calcified structure of some sort. Is this a macro algae or some sort of coral?

The third picture is a mollusk/clam looking thing that actually appears to be alive as it opens/closes.

Thanks in advance and as more things appear I am sure I will be coming for help again!

Attachments

• what is this 1.jpg
    what is this 1.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 67
  • what is this 2.jpg
    what is this 2.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 48
  • what is this 4.jpg
    what is this 4.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 47
Upper left appears to be a bleached-out Ricordea mushroom coral. The red stuff kind of looks like a macro algae of some type, assuming it's "leafy".

Upper right is probably what you said... a clam of some type. (Not the pretty kind you see pictures of, though!)

Lower right just looks like some type of dead coral skeleton to me.

Nice looking coraline algae on that rock! Welcome aboard.

Thanks for the reply! Just got back from vacation and I think I got some better pictures as I have a better light now and things have grown a little. I cannot figure out how to have the pictures in a line so I hope they show up the same.

The first (top left to me) is the soft coral looking thing. The tips have more color now and it retracts quite quickly when anything startles it. The 2nd (top right to me) is a pale branching tree appearing thing that has grown since last picture, and third (bottom left) I think is a type of worm.

Probably the same things as before, but wanted to share some better pictures!

Creighton

Attachments

• DSC00422.jpg
    DSC00422.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 78
  • DSC00423.jpg
    DSC00423.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 59
  • DSC00424.jpg
    DSC00424.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 60
Agreed with Kurt, the top looks like a ric or mushroom of sorts, and the second looks like some form of macro.
Not sure on the worm, looks like a feather duster of some sort.

Thanks Jim,

I guess I was just a litte confused on the Ricordea. When I look up Ricordea is looks mostly like little polyps in a mat, while the thing in my tank seems to have an inner pore surrouded by polyps. Do Ricordea close up quickly when startled?

This is currently in mid-tank with mild-moderate current. Is this a good location for the Ricordea?

The nice rics you see are like that yea, but there are a huge amount of morphs. Not to mention yours was a hitchhiker and who knows how long it has been since its seen good light.

When you say startled, does it close when you get close with your finger or when you poke it or something?

Well it is making me look bad! I thought before that it closed quite quickly when touched, but it pretty much didn't do anything. It does slowly close and open though with light/current changes like the zoas.

Yea, that sounds right.
For a second I thought you were talking about you walk by the tank and it closes, and then I would have been completely stumped. :p

Back
Top Bottom