Identify Rainbowfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nolan99

Aquarium Advice Regular
Was sold as a red rainbowfish. It doesn't look very red. Any ideas, does it just need to color up? Do you think it really is a red rainbowfish or another species?

Attachments

• FullSizeRender-1.jpg
    FullSizeRender-1.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 141
  • FullSizeRender-2.jpg
    FullSizeRender-2.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 62
  • FullSizeRender-3.jpg
    FullSizeRender-3.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 63
  • FullSizeRender-4.jpg
    FullSizeRender-4.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 132
1 of 4 red rainbows I added to my tank todayImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1441531712.717047.jpg
Could the predominantly bronze colour be due to it being female?

I'm wondering if it female too. One time I bought someone's tank of rainbows off Craigslist and one of the fish had to have been a hybrid because no one could ever identify it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It's a Red Irian. It will color up as it matures.

Caleb

How long do u think it takes them to mature? I have had this one and a female that have been this color for almost s year now.

How long do u think it takes them to mature? I have had this one and a female that have been this color for almost s year now.

Females in many species are generally not as vibrant as males. I cannot give you a definitive answer on how long it takes.

Caleb

Females in many species are generally not as vibrant as males. I cannot give you a definitive answer on how long it takes.

Caleb

Is there any way to sex them? I have one that is supposedly a female that looks like the rainbowfish someone else posted except without the red. Meanwhile, the picture I posted of what is supposedly a male.

Is there any way to sex them? I have one that is supposedly a female that looks like the rainbowfish someone else posted except without the red. Meanwhile, the picture I posted of what is supposedly a male.

Send "pseudomugil" a PM. He's the Rainbowfish dude on here. He can tell you

Caleb

Last edited by a moderator:
I really need to learn more about rainbows too.

Me too, I'm slowly getting there, so far I've got reds, dwarf neons, celebes and turquoise, this guy is my favorite atm ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1441570938.804607.jpg

I have turquoise, boesmani, threadfin and two that were just labeled Australian rainbow. I should try for pics. Turquoise and boesmani are my favs

Here they are. A few people on here helped me identify them as M. Splendida splendida

Attachments

• 1441916096564.jpg
    1441916096564.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 72
Back
Top Bottom